Thread: Stanley 1950's iron setup and sharpening instructions.

Stanley 1950's iron setup and sharpening instructions.

Was perusing the interwebs and came across this Stanley info card from the 50's, not so lost information. Thought some may find it useful and interesting.
    image.jpg image.jpg
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Bottom left.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    There is no information there about setting up the chipbreaker close to the bevel edge for maximum performance. Or did I miss that?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Hi James

I found it, and therefore deleted by post ... but you were too quick!

Regards from Perth

Derek

I think something very similar came in new Record plane boxes at least into the '70s too. I never kept the boxes from planes I bought then, other than maybe the 778 for some odd reason, but wish that I had now that I see the boxes selling on ebay.

That is interesting to read. I wish they were a bit more detailed about the recommended method to round the corners on plane irons.

It's perhaps reasonable to suspect that very precise set up expertise (use of cambers, flattening the back, use of very fine stones) lay more with skilled shops and individuals - that the vast majority of users were not that bothered about the sort of very fine tuning that we take for granted.

It's probably fair to say that the vast majority of the tools were sold to either guys working in construction of one sort or another - or doing DIY? Perhaps relatively few were involved in high end high rpecision cabinet work??

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

The real voyage of discovery consists in making it all the way from the posting couch to the fridge and finding . . .
    that Queenmasteroftheuniverseandbabybunnytrainer has left for me a hitherto unsampled culinary delight.

PS: I wonder what Liz thinks of your avatar. Works for me. I mean it beats the pants off of my Paul avatar. But then his pants fell off every time he turned himself invisible.

OK . . . I’m Jealous.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    The real voyage of discovery consists in making it all the way from the posting couch to the fridge and finding . . .
    that Queenmasteroftheuniverseandbabybunnytrainer has left for me a hitherto unsampled culinary delight.

PS: I wonder what Liz thinks of your avatar. Works for me. I mean it beats the pants off of my Paul avatar. But then his pants fell off every time he turned himself invisible.

OK . . . I’m Jealous.
    Sounds like a productive venture to the ice box...

Liz who?

Just Having Fun. THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS. I learned some stuff.

The plane iron cap must not be dragged back across the cutting edge
    because that will repeatedly p___ you off and you might go looking for a bevel up and . . .
    that would hurt our sales . . .
    so . . .
    do not do this . . .
    if you do we will find you !
    We will hunt you down suck’a
    We mean it.

Sincerely,
    The friendly Stanley corporation.

Edge of plane iron cap must fit tight to prevent shavings wedging under it, piling up and choking the plane.

We could have done this at the factory but you all are such penny pinching cheep skate bargain hunters that we could not stay in business if we didn’t farm this crucial step out to our clueless customers.

so . . .
    do not complain . . .
    tell no one
    if you do we will find you !
    We will hunt you down !
    We mean it !

Sincerely,
    The friendly Stanley corporation.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 01-25-2015 at 4:31 PM.
    But
    Better is Better.

Liz who?
    Liz is one of our newest members.
    She signed on and said a very brief howdy.

See Liz you are going to have to start punching those keys more.
    Even if it is just to say how full of horse pucky we all are.
    But
    Better is Better.