Thread: Want to check my thought process

Want to check my thought process

Adding on to the basement shop and going to redo the dust collection. Thought is to build the Thein separator with aluminum garbage can then into Jet 1100 with the vortex upgrade and wynne micro filter on top. Wondering if i could simply use the motor on the 1100 and have the dust and chips go into the thein and then simply blow out the back of the shop into the air. Live on a couple acres so not worried about neighbors.

Am I missing anything?

You will exhaust your shops heated or cooled air. You will also loose cfm adding a thein. If you are fine with that give it a try. Its effectiveness will depend on dia of piping, its length, type, and dust/chip size and many other variables.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Maybe this is dumb but why do you need a filter if you are exhausting outside?

I vent directly outside from my little cyclone and it works great. Of course my garage/shop is neither heated or cooled. Originally I was worried I might coat everything on the driveway with fine dust but I have never seen any evidence of that. Agree with Joe there is no need for a filter if I'm understanding what you want to do. Some folks vent everything directly outside with no separation at all, generally into some kind of collector box.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

In regards to the filter, I thought I would use the Thein and a garbage can to grab the big stuff the rest out the back of the shop. I guess with my original post, I was thinking two different options.