Thread: using scrapers

using scrapers

I had a question about using scrapers. I am not a professional turner but have been turning for around three years and I find scrapers to be a useful tool. I was told that many people frown on using them. To me it's a tool to get a job done. For me I have found that if you keep them sharp they work well. Are there any suggestions? Thanks.

Sadhaka,
    I believe in trying anything that sounds reasonable. Personally, every time I touch a scraper to a bowl, especially a dry bowl, I make more sanding for myself. But if they work for you, who is to say not to use them. Scrape on.
    faust

Use what works for you, I have been turning for over 50 years, back then there was few books, no videos, no forums, so I experimented and found things that works for me.

Here are some good reads about scrapers.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...scraper-angles

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Scrapers-work

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Scraper-Video

Check out Robo Hippy's videos on UTube to see what a professional turner can do with a scraper.

My feeling is that more turners use scrapers than admit it. I think scrapers are great tool for a lot of turning situations. If you think about it most hollowing tools are scrapers.
    Fred

6. Reed Grey [a.k.a. Robo Hippy] is a regular here and uses scrapers all the time.......they have become his go to tools. He has a series of youtube videos on many aspects of turning including one on scrapers......look up his video with a google search and you won't be disappointed......he gives good info on their use and different types of scrapers as well.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

+1 on Reed Grey's video. Got me to use them more. Hey, whatever works in a given situation. Probably why I have over 30 chisels and variable speed. Stay safe though. Cheers from the frozen North (southern Ontario).

Reed Grey AKA: Robo Hippy on youtube; uses scrapers almost exclusively from what I gather. He is very good and puts videos on youtube. Personally I'm not a purists who frown on scrapers I'm told. To me I'll use whichever tool allows me to get the job done in a reasonable time frame. To me woodturning is about the fun and enjoyment. I love trying to figure out how to complete something.

Kindest Regards,
    Marc

Thanks to all of you for the positive feedback on scrapers. I will check you tube and proceed with confidence.