Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fire! Festool CT22 vac

It's on the way back. It's out of warranty, but the manager sent a prepaid label anyway. No promises that they'll repair or replace.

As to fire extinguishers, one of those wouldn't have helped. The fire was still inside it. But it was rapidly filling my shop with a lot of smoke. That was a more immediate problem. Breathing apparatus would have been helpful.

As it is, I got it out. I dumped the contents onto the drive. They were smoldering. I couldn't have left them inside without the whole vac eventually melting or burning. As far as the smell goes, I got a super duper air cleaner. The smell is almost gone now. Of course this air cleaner will be useful in other rooms for other purposes too.

For me, the fundamental problem remains. Not knowing exactly how it ignited. Exactly what the ignition source was. I'm positive I didn't hit anything. No metal, no stones, nothing. It's a puzzle to me.

Quote Originally Posted by John Piwaron View Post
    It's on the way back. It's out of warranty, but the manager sent a prepaid label anyway. No promises that they'll repair or replace.

As to fire extinguishers, one of those wouldn't have helped. The fire was still inside it. But it was rapidly filling my shop with a lot of smoke. That was a more immediate problem. Breathing apparatus would have been helpful.

As it is, I got it out. I dumped the contents onto the drive. They were smoldering. I couldn't have left them inside without the whole vac eventually melting or burning. As far as the smell goes, I got a super duper air cleaner. The smell is almost gone now. Of course this air cleaner will be useful in other rooms for other purposes too.

For me, the fundamental problem remains. Not knowing exactly how it ignited. Exactly what the ignition source was. I'm positive I didn't hit anything. No metal, no stones, nothing. It's a puzzle to me.
    Festool must be very concerned. Since what you did was not abnormal, this mean it could happen to anyone. It sounds to me a design flaw in the Festool dust extractor. I think they probably will send you a new one.

Let us know the result.

Design flaw????..they have been selling the dust extractor for quite awhile and I have not heard of any other similar issues. These were originally in Europe and they have tough regulations. Jumping on design flaw is just a bit premature.

I just opened up my CT26 and have no idea how something from motor or electrical could get in the dust bag without melting a lot of the case.

I did a search for fires in vacuums in a workshop and much to my surprise there were no hits except this thread. I thought that this would be a more frequent issue.

If it were mine, I would take it down to Lebanon, IN and watch them do the inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by James Zhu View Post
    Festool must be very concerned. Since what you did was not abnormal, this mean it could happen to anyone. It sounds to me a design flaw in the Festool dust extractor. I think they probably will send you a new one.

Let us know the result.
    Highly unlikely, although not impossible.

This is the first fire anyone has heard about, and it happened in a part of the vacuum with no moving or electrical parts.

A chip was proabably hot enough to ignite in the airflow of the vacuum, exactly as happens in dust collector fires in some cases.

I do however agree that Festool will probably treat the OP well, they generally do.

regards, Rod.

I did a search on vacuums catching on fire and came across a couple of them. I saw a picture of an Oreck upright vac completely enveloped in fire. I also saw several links to a story about a shop vac aboard a US nuclear submarine that caught on fire and caused $400 million in damage. I have no idea at all about how either of those other two things happened. About all it's telling me is that it's not impossible for vacuum cleaners to start on fire. Very very highly unlikely? Sure. Totally impossible? No.

I don't have any idea how the Festool is designed. But all products of that type should have a cut off in the switch that cuts the power if the motor starts to overheat. I suppose there are some that don't have such a cutoff and I further suppose that a cutoff could fail allowing the motor to just continue to overheat until meltdown unless somebody shuts it off.

That said, I don't think they would want to see it if the issue was categorically without question a hot ember working its way into the dust collection bag. But that would always seem the most likely possibility wouldn't it? Was the OP ever able to get a look at the motor, the switch, wiring etc. While I am asking, once Festool said they wanted to look at it, I would not have attempted to open up a thing myself. Would have just left it to them at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    A chip was probably hot enough to ignite in the airflow of the vacuum, exactly as happens in dust collector fires in some cases.
    That was my initial idea / post.

I have changed my opinion. The OP's workshop has a subterranean deposit of rare Unobtainium, that creates a lens effect of cosmic rays. The Festool vac, just by happenstance, was sitting right in the direct line of the focused rays.

So - just don't let it sit there in the future. And - don't forget to wear the tin foil hat.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Routing maple and dust collection is something I would automatically check for smoldering. Over the years I've seen plenty of cabinet saws and dust collectors turn into woodstoves. Any other explanation is a Redd Herring.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Routing maple and dust collection is something I would automatically check for smoldering. Over the years I've seen plenty of cabinet saws and dust collectors turn into woodstoves. Any other explanation is a Redd Herring.
    First time I've heard of maple igniting this easily.

I'm quite honestly stunned that people seem so quick to point to the routing + maple as the explanation.

I've been reading this forum as well as others for years now and have never seen someone mention that routing maple is a fire hazard.

Think about it. One small ember in pile of very fine tinder (or a paper bag), with a very healthy helping of air. Pretty much what they taught us in the Boy Scouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    First time I've heard of maple igniting this easily.

I'm quite honestly stunned that people seem so quick to point to the routing + maple as the explanation.

I've been reading this forum as well as others for years now and have never seen someone mention that routing maple is a fire hazard.
    Phil - legit point. I don't know that maple does ignite this easily. I know that the OP absolutely swears there were no hard objects in play - metal, stone, etc.. I know that maple is prone to burning, even with sharp blades/cutters, and while I have never seen flaming/glowing bits thrown off, the wood can still get smoking hot [BTW - the OP has never posted photos of the cut-in-play when the conflagration began].

And, so, I devolved to the misspent hours of my youth, and my love of Sherlock Holmes. In this case, as per The Sign of Four:

"....when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...."

So - Phil - your theory is????

Mebbe a second sniper on the Grassy Knoll?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Based on the fact that the OP emptied the dust bag it will be difficult to fully investigate. I would have had my phone out taking pics or video.

Festool will no doubt look at scorch/fire marks and full investigate the electrics.

On a kind of side note...given all the dust and chips in a shop and heat generated at time cutting, routing, drilling etc it is amazing that there are not more fires.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Phil - legit point. I don't know that maple does ignite this easily. I know that the OP absolutely swears there were no hard objects in play - metal, stone, etc.. I know that maple is prone to burning, even with sharp blades/cutters, and while I have never seen flaming/glowing bits thrown off, the wood can still get smoking hot [BTW - the OP has never posted photos of the cut-in-play when the conflagration began].

And, so, I devolved to the misspent hours of my youth, and my love of Sherlock Holmes. In this case, as per The Sign of Four:

"....when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...."

So - Phil - your theory is????

Mebbe a second sniper on the Grassy Knoll?
    I don't really have a theory. I'm not going to jump to any conclusions here. I think Festool should be given a chance to investigate. They undoubtedly have engineering staff in the US, or visiting engineers from Germany, perhaps they will let us know what they find.

And for the record, I'm not dismissing the possibility it was induced by maple being machined. I'm just saying the reaction of so many here, that it is obvious that it was the maple being routed, seems insane to me. If maple being routed was an ignition source, few of us would have shops left.

I will tell you this, and I'm not kidding: I will be sourcing a smoke alarm to place near my separator and vac today. If nothing else, this thread has reminded me that there are dangers in this hobby and we need to take precautions.

The smoke alarms in my house and shop are interconnected wirelessly so that if one goes off they all go off. I have had the alarm in my shop go off at 3:00 AM and I wouldn't hear it if it was solo but when a few more go off including the one just outside the bedroom door, I'm up and downstairs in about 10 seconds. Left a soldering iron plugged in and the flux smoked a little. I now turn off the main switch when I leave my shop for the night. Alarms are by Kidde. I also have a large fire extingusher beside the door OUTSIDE my shop so I can grab it on the way in if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    The smoke alarms in my house and shop are interconnected wirelessly so that if one goes off they all go off. I have had the alarm in my shop go off at 3:00 AM and I wouldn't hear it if it was solo but when a few more go off including the one just outside the bedroom door, I'm up and downstairs in about 10 seconds. Left a soldering iron plugged in and the flux smoked a little. I now turn off the main switch when I leave my shop for the night. Alarms are by Kidde. I also have a large fire extingusher beside the door OUTSIDE my shop so I can grab it on the way in if needed.
    Based on the electrical code, the smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in the house are powered by the same electrical circuit, otherwise it is a code violation. One goes off, all go off.