Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clamps?

Clamps?

Thinking about getting some on handed operation clamps like these http://www.lowes.com/pd_516216-281-1...mps&facetInfo=
    Are these the ones people brag about or is there a better brand?

The Irwin's are great for sure. That being said, just before Christmas I bought a bunch of 'tektons' off Amazon for less than half the price of Irwins and so far they've been just as good.

A lot of the time I'll use those kind of clamps to hold something in position while I'm holding it with the other hand. Then I'll put an F or C or bar clamp beside it for more secure holding or more clamping force and remove the quick clamp for the next awkward piece.

Glue jobs like this make quick clamps invaluable.

I don't know that anyone brags about them but they certainly do the job. Heck, you can just go to Harbor Freight and get some for a couple of bucks and they work just as well.

I've some little quick clamps like those and they've more miles on em than there bigger brothers. Mine are 10+ years old from craftsman, but look very similar.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I managed to break 2 of the 4 Irwins I had while doing a glue lamination, so I ordered a few more that Rockler had at half price. They seem a little more heavy duty than what I had and what Lowe's has pictured. They also have a head that swivels and they can be reversed to use as a spreader. An email from Rockler in the last day or two showed them still on sale with free shipping. I haven't used the new ones enough yet to opine on them.

I have one from HF and it is fair. Looking for a little better quality.

I have 8 - 10 of the Irwins. No problems. Use them all the time. They are not what I use for most glue-ups, though - limited grip. But - small parts glue-up, they are fine. Usually for holding parts in place for alignment, things like that.
    They work great for what they are designed to do, and they have never failed me.

If you are looking for that style, you can't go wrong wt the Irwins I realize there are alternatives, at lower $$ - I have never tried those, so I can't comment either way.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Delhommer Sr View Post
    I have one from HF and it is fair. Looking for a little better quality.
    Just keep in mind that quick clamps are not intended to give the same kind of clamping pressure that bar clamps or pipe clamps are. They are for relatively light to medium duty easy clamping. Don't expect more from them than they are intended to do.

I have been using that style clamps for a good 20 years or so. As Brian Henderson posted, they are for satisfactory relatively light to medium duty applications.

Found out it is not advisable to use them to hold anything that will be subject to vibration while clamped -- the clamp will loosen/slip a bit.

I've got a couple dozen each of those and their bigger brothers. Use them all the time. No issues as long as you don't expect them to have the same clamping power of C or F clamps.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

I have 3 one handed clamps that I really like ... Bessy Duo-Clamps, Dewalt Extra Large trigger clamps, and Bessy quick clamps. The dewalts will go up to 600 # pressure (not verified, but they really have a strong clamping grip) ...

They seem very sturdy, and will go all the way up to 50" ... I have the 24" size, and they will be the ones that I will get as a add more clamps.

The Duo-clamps are the ones that I go for for most of my clamping needs ... they provide enough grip for anything that I am doing, they will grip with // pressure, and are really easy to manipulate ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I actually think my HF clamps have more clamping power than the Irwin and will buy HF ones in the future. I have the Bessy Duo clamp as well and seem to give the strongest hold (and maybe slightly better build). Like people said though, this is limited pressure from any brand. The Irwin XP line of clamps are supposed to be much stronger if that's a requirement. I have no experience with them. All that said, I use the exact clamps you list in your link the most for the fact that I'm always needing quick light clamping. I just don't use them for glue ups if I can avoid it.

Those are good, I've had them since the days when whey were quickgrip. I've also got the chepo HF ones, the Irins are much better. Can never have enough clamps!

I have a bunch of the Irwins. I use them frequently but I don't really like them. They tend to shift whatever it is you are clamping as you tighten them, and the pads leave some sort of oily mark on wood if you leave them on, say, overnight.

They are handy though.

Mike

Blog Entries
    I have a pair of the 18" Irwins but an earlier version. Mine work well for quick clamping. The current version doesn't seem quite as substantial. 3 out of 4 of my clamps from Harbor Freight broke. Never again will I waste money. The Irwins are far more durable and very handy. Things can shift under these clamps if you are not fastidious in your alignment.

For clamping glue-ups, I am a believer in Bessey Parallel clamps and cauls.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"