Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clamps?

Like the rest of the gang, those work fine. I like these Bessys a little better for most jobs though, the balance is better and they are cheaper.

I've got 4 of the Wolcraft quick clamps that have given me good service. The HF quick grip style clamps haven't fared well at all (black w/orange pads), though I like their Pittsburg F-style bar clamps quite a bit.

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I've used those same Irwin clamps for several years and they are very reliable for light weight clamping -- at $5 each, you can't go wrong with their purchase. I probably have a dozen of that 6" size, plus some 12" ones. Very handy. But they won't replace my Bessey K-Body clamps for glue-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    I have a bunch of the Irwins. I use them frequently but I don't really like them. They tend to shift whatever it is you are clamping as you tighten them, and the pads leave some sort of oily mark on wood if you leave them on, say, overnight.

They are handy though.

Mike
    This about sums up my experience. They are also a bit fineky and seem to either open not enough or all the way when you tap the release lever and it always seems they "choose" the option which is exactly opposite of what you need them to do at the time. The experience of others is clearly different but I looked at the HF ones a while back when I needed some disposable ones and I didn't find them even worth investing in for one-time disposable use.

Also - buy extra pads as I always seem to be misplacing them.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

I have about a dozen of the HF "F" clamps and like them, they serve my needs. I want the Quick Grip to hold something temporarily for alignment till I free up my hands and can put a better clamp on the project. I do have one HF Quick Grip but would not buy more, I got this one free is the only reason I have it.

I've got a whole herd of Quick Grips, enough that I'm not buying them whenever I get a hankerin' while they're on sale. Mostly Minis, with a few Micros and full size beasts thrown in. In the Micros and Minis, the Irwins cannot be beat. Well, they can, but since you can't get the American made ones (and their Craftsman clones) anymore, the ones the OP shows are quite adequate. In the full size, I prefer the Pony/Jorgensen ISD 3. The clamp as well, and are much, much friendlier to the hand. However, the quality control isn't quite as good.

Like any other clamps, they have situations where they absolutely shine, situations where they're "ok", and some situations where they are suboptimal. They ARE the most used clamps in my shop, yet most of their use is NOT for glueups.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I have a couple hand squeeze quick grip bar clamps and a spreader version or two - Irwin and Craftsman copies of Irwin are the brands I have. I find I use the spreader the most as it is handy and already set up.

Mostly I grab a F clamp - Bessey tradesman - when I need a non parallel clamp lighter clamps - I just have them more accessible.

Most may know this but....You can make parallels spreaders as well by reversing the heads on many brands. Also another tip with parallels - with three, because of their larger head, you can make very very long clamps. One in the middle pulls the other two together.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I don't know that anyone brags about them but they certainly do the job. Heck, you can just go to Harbor Freight and get some for a couple of bucks and they work just as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Delhommer Sr View Post
    I have one from HF and it is fair. Looking for a little better quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Li View Post
    I actually think my HF clamps have more clamping power than the Irwin and will buy HF ones in the future. I have the Bessy Duo clamp as well and seem to give the strongest hold (and maybe slightly better build). Like people said though, this is limited pressure from any brand. The Irwin XP line of clamps are supposed to be much stronger if that's a requirement. I have no experience with them. All that said, I use the exact clamps you list in your link the most for the fact that I'm always needing quick light clamping. I just don't use them for glue ups if I can avoid it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    Those are good, I've had them since the days when whey were quickgrip. I've also got the chepo HF ones, the Irins are much better. Can never have enough clamps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I have a pair of the 18" Irwins but an earlier version. Mine work well for quick clamping. The current version doesn't seem quite as substantial. 3 out of 4 of my clamps from Harbor Freight broke. Never again will I waste money. The Irwins are far more durable and very handy. Things can shift under these clamps if you are not fastidious in your alignment.

For clamping glue-ups, I am a believer in Bessey Parallel clamps and cauls.
    Like most of the above. I have broken about a dozen or so HF clamps, never one of the Irwins. I do lose the pads though.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

Quote Originally Posted by george newbury View Post
    Like most of the above. I have broken about a dozen or so HF clamps, never one of the Irwins. I do lose the pads though.
    I've yet to break any clamps regardless of manufacturer, but I know what clamps are good for and don't push them beyond their design capacity. I suspect that people who break clamps are trying to use them for things for which they were never designed.

Blog Entries
    I have 40 or 50 of the 6" and 20 plus of the 12" here is where to get them cheap: http://www.cripedistributing.com/irw...-2-clamps.html

I also have a ton of the micro clamps. I use them all in wood surfboard and kayak building along with umpteen other things.

Well today I bought a 4 pack of Irwin Quick Grip clamps (2* 6" and 2* 12") at Lowes using a gift card from our oldest son that he gave me for Christmas. Then I ordered 4 of the 6" heavier Irwin Quick Grip clamps from Rockler that were on sale and free shipping. That should hold me for a while.

I don't like the pads on the Irwins because the leave a grease like mark on the wood. I have some larger Irwins that have the hard plastic pads that I love on bigger things. My faborite are the Bessey DuoKlamps

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I've yet to break any clamps regardless of manufacturer, but I know what clamps are good for and don't push them beyond their design capacity. I suspect that people who break clamps are trying to use them for things for which they were never designed.
    My HF clamps broke just clamping boards to the bench. The other clamps didn't break. No inappropriate strain here. No more HF clamps for me.

I did break my 24" bolt cutters though (non-HF). That was definately pushing the limits of the tool. It was exciting when the handle broke.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"