Thread: 2nd run at a raised panel

2nd run at a raised panel

this was a better run,took 27 min and it turned out well

http://youtu.be/SQl37ihV2kY
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't do this type of work, but that should take you a fraction of the time if you used the right cutters. There are a bunch of cutters out there for this type of work. They aren't exactly cheap, but considering each panel would probably take less than 10 minutes using them, which is a very conservative number, it may be worth looking into.

I saw this program the other day which uses "standard" bits which may seem like a better idea as you can use these bits on all sorts of different projects: http://home.centurytel.net/bwclark/

Last thing to mention, if you go to tackle this project with MDF, don't bother with the stuff you buy at the big box stores. You need good quality MDF. Medex or Uniboard are two that I can recommend. I believe Uniboard is a Canadian company so it might be pretty easy for you to get.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I've played a bit with some whiteside simulated rp bits.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Those are 100% MDF from the box store menards. Lower trim was done on a jet 13" planer moulder and top edge on a shaper. Crazy though - same work to do this in oak and would be worth the glue ups to me. Its what the customer wanted though.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Agree with Ross. Big differences in MDFs
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 01-25-2015 at 8:03 PM. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Those are 100% MDF from the box store menards. Lower trim was done on a jet 13" planer moulder and top edge on a shaper. Crazy though - same work to do this in oak and would be worth the glue ups to me. Its what the customer wanted though.
    The stuff from Mendards is a Uniboard product. So you're very lucky to get that so easily and fairly priced. The stuff I can get from Home Depot for example good for shelving and nothing more. It cannot hold any detail.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

back

I agree there is mdf and there is, but this was a project I picked.
    And I just wanted some POS material for a test run and the mdf I had I could not pull down on my own so I found some other stuff tha I could run.
    A contractor asked me if (raised panels from mdf) could be done without the router round corners and I was not sure well it can and a v bit could easily
    clean up the rail corner better yet.
    I was impressed how good it looked and how much better in the right material