Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big, deep, heavy Ogee bowl

Big, deep, heavy Ogee bowl

When I had to move this piece of wood out of my back shed to accommodate my wife's need to store some Christmas decorations in plastic bins, I decided then that I wanted to turn a big heavy bowl from this piece of ambrosia maple.

I have been working on it here and there for the last few days.....actually started it this past Monday, and turned it a little at a time, and let it acclimate to the release of tension in the wood and the drying process and temperature changes it would encounter......each session, I just left it on the lathe and let it do its thing.

I knew it would move, and in the final analysis, it ovaled 1/4", so that is not bad. I wanted heavy, and left the walls 1/2" thick......could have easily turned it thinner, but this is actually made as a center piece and can be used for any type of display......fruit, flowers, etc. ....or a big mountain of biscuits! Ballast!

It is almost 14" wide at the rim and 9" deep with an ogee shape. Thanks to all who posted in the wet sanding and inside bowl technique threads earlier. This is my offering to increase the amount of postings on SMC.

DSC_0635.JPG DSC_0636.JPG DSC_0639.jpg Comments welcome!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-26-2015 at 3:43 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Glad to see you got it done and can see why it would offer a challenge being so tall. Will make a good center piece.

That is a deep bowl for that diameter. Nice job. What did you use to hollow the inside? I bought a 3/4" Thompson bowl gouge a couple of years back because the reach was too much for a 5/8" and straight tool rest. I now also have a "J" tool rest for some of the deep bowls, but still use the 3/4" too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    That is a deep bowl for that diameter. Nice job. What did you use to hollow the inside? I bought a 3/4" Thompson bowl gouge a couple of years back because the reach was too much for a 5/8" and straight tool rest. I now also have a "J" tool rest for some of the deep bowls, but still use the 3/4" too.
    I don't have a "J" rest yet, but I want to get one.......was just looking at some a couple days ago, both Oneway and Robust, and it would have been a great help to me if I had one on this bowl.

I used a 5/8" Thompson gouge, and had to use careful tool control because the reach over the rest was more than uncomfortable that is sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes Rutherford View Post
    Glad to see you got it done and can see why it would offer a challenge being so tall. Will make a good center piece.
    Thanks Haayes.....appreciated!

Nice form! looks great!

Looks to be about the right size for biscuits around my house. Good job Roger, I see why you had some issues.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Simply massive Roger...just massive. I'm sure it has a heck of a presence and will certainly hold a bunch of biscuits! Were you able to save any of the interior wood, or was it all turned into shavings?
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart View Post
    Simply massive Roger...just massive. I'm sure it has a heck of a presence and will certainly hold a bunch of biscuits! Were you able to save any of the interior wood, or was it all turned into shavings?
    At this point, I do not have a coring rig......so shavings for now.

Roger, not sure if it's the camera angle or not but in the second photo it appears that the rim is somewhat warped. Again could just be the angle of the shot. Being warped wouldn't bother me one bit, just asking. Otherwise I think you did a good job on the outside. The shape certainly is unusual for it's diameter and depth but I kind of like it. My personal preference would have been to go with no foot on it though. Just not a foot guy.

Now, in an earlier thread you were querying about issues on the inside of this piece so is there a chance you took some photo's of the interior that we can see?
    Tony

"Soldier On"

11. Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    Roger, not sure if it's the camera angle or not but in the second photo it appears that the rim is somewhat warped. Again could just be the angle of the shot. Being warped wouldn't bother me one bit, just asking. Otherwise I think you did a good job on the outside. The shape certainly is unusual for it's diameter and depth but I kind of like it. My personal preference would have been to go with no foot on it though. Just not a foot guy.

Now, in an earlier thread you were querying about issues on the inside of this piece so is there a chance you took some photo's of the interior that we can see?
    It warped about 1/4" Tony......actually less than I expected it to do with the way I went about turning this one. I did not get any pics of the inside......surface looks pretty much like the outside. I had to do way too much sanding to get all the end grain to where I wanted it, but in the end it was worth it, I think.

IF I have some time later today, I will take a pic of the inside and post it. You know........I am a bit of a foot guy, so we are a bit opposite on that one!

12. added pic of the inside

Okay, Tony & others who might be interested.......I added a pic of the inside on the original post above........sorry, I had already put away my photo setup last night, so you got a pic on the dining room table!

That's a monster, Roger, and nicely executed. Maybe you don't need that big, new lathe after all. Just kidding. Everyone needs a bigger lathe.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

14. Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    Maybe you don't need that big, new lathe after all.
    O contraire'........ I got plans Doug, Big plans! Thanks for commenting.......nice to hear from you!

nice, Roger