Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: a good 135 degree miter square?

Quote Originally Posted by jamie shard View Post
    That's what I like about the design of the Stanley #16 style miter square.
    In that case, you might want to have a look at this Joseph Marples Trial 1 model

Perfect, thanks Joe!

p.s. I still curious about the david charlesworth style square, so if anyone has a lead, be sure to post.
    clamp the work
    to relax the mind

Blog Entries
    Check the following link for an adjustable mitre square.

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...tem/MS-CCMS.XX

Quote Originally Posted by david charlesworth View Post

The square is quite reasonable here, 28.93 euro, which is about $ 32. Plus postage.

One supplier is Vogel. http://shop.vogel-germany.de/product...-130-mm.html&=
    They call it the "Acute Angle Square" which is wholly incorrect.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    They call it the "Acute Angle Square" which is wholly incorrect.
    Didn't catch that, I thought it said "A cute angle square."

Sorry for being obtuse...

On the other hand, I was thinking of suggesting a Stanley Odd Jobs:

Two Sticks and Odd Jobs.jpg

But the OP did make a comment about being dissatisfied with inaccuracy so I thought it might not be the best tool for their job.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-01-2015 at 2:26 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

One supplier is Vogel. http://shop.vogel-germany.de/product...-130-mm.html&=

I use this square for all mitred work as it references from the face edge, i.e. the internal edge.
    Wonderful, thank you David!
    clamp the work
    to relax the mind

Wow, my google-fu is weak. I can't find a U.S. distributor or anyone selling a comparable product. Anybody have better luck?
    clamp the work
    to relax the mind

I do agree with the OP and david charlesworth that this square is certainly a valuable measuring tool. A 45 deg square just doesn't always fit the bill when dealing with miters as I often work from the inside edge as my reference when I want to deal with miters. This may not be the preferred method of most but there are times that I prefer working from the inside, especially if my widths of the stock I'm using are exactly the same. When gluing up a miter I want the inside surface flush and any discrepency in width on the outside where I can plane the pieces flush, if that makes any sense at all.

The link above does not work, but I think it may be this product here: https://shop.vogel-germany.de/Squares/Hexagonal-and-Octagonal-Angles/With-back-315/Acute-Angle-Square-DIN-875--GG-2--135----120-mm-x-80-mm.html
    Stainless

The Secret Mitre Dovetail is one of my favorite videos. Every word strikes me as being as carefully chosen as each movement of the hand work. I find it mesmerizing and inspiring. Having watched it several times, I find myself taking notice of little details in the background. For example, I notice that David's sharpening station is set up and ready to go (preventing procrastination). I' notice that his hand tools are 'out' at hand's reach, not in drawers, not in chests. I notice that he has more than one workbench, and that each bench has multiple supplemental task lights. I notice that David doesn't need all of his planes to be "top-shelf". For example, instead of a bronze Lie-Nielsen 102 in the background, I notice a modest iron Dictum 'pocket plane' of similar design. These small things are quite interesting to me.

David clearly has a love of precision tools, but he routinely turns to the elegant utility of low-tech things like shims of paper (combined with clever reasoning). It is in part due this practical approach that when David mentions a tool being a favorite, I take notice because I know it's a choice driven in large part by utility. Many years ago, David mentioned that he likes a particular hand brush for planes. This was a surprise to me because a hand brush seemed like a completely unnecessary accessory. I decided to buy it anyway, assuming there were probably reasons for liking it that I did not know. This was indeed true, and today there's not a day in my shop when I don't pick up that brush, and feel happy to have it.

Having said all of this, I too am curious about the 135° mitre square. I have often wished for the complimentary angle of my combination square so again I took note of this one. I am guessing that David's is the 120mm x 80mm size (gauging the relative size of the it in relation to other items in the video). Can anyone say if that is that right? The one linked above one carries Vogel's "Vmade" brand which appears to indicate that it is made for Vogel to their specification (e.g. China).

I would also love to know the origin of that blue sticky mat in the background on the sharpening station. I'm someone who can find things online, but have been unable figure out where that came from (if it's even available). DMT makes a non-skid mat for sharpening, but it's only 10x4.

While we're on the subject, I would also love to know the origin of the 375 gram hammer in the video. I've seen similar hammers carried by Dictum in Germany (Nomi Genno), and JapanWoodworker in the USA (Daruma Gennoh). Neither seem to be exactly the same tool as David is using here. In case he chose his for a reason I'd like to know what it is.

If David or anyone has input on these items, I would very much appreciate it.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-05-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Don't forget, the complimentary angle of 135 degrees is 45 degrees. You can use a combination square for both these angles ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

True enough, but the stock of the German engineers square is in a more convenient place, for some jobs. i.e. opposite side of blade.

This makes it more convenient for checking mitres, and marking out in most cases.

best wishes,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by jamie shard View Post
    I think using a square that way would be referencing off the other surface of the wood -- right? I think this make sense for machists with more accurite blocks of metal, but for neander woodworking I'm ideally trying to use only the main reference surface for marking, if that makes sense... That's what I like about the design of the Stanley #16 style miter square.
    Nobody's saying to use the other side of the workpiece - they're saying to use the other side of a sliding bevel or similar. If you use your "good" 45-deg reference to set one side of a sliding bevel then the other side will be at 180 - 45 = 135 deg.

EDIT: Wow, I totally missed that this was a zombie thread. Deleting my other posts...
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 04-24-2016 at 3:52 PM.

What is a zombie thread please?

David

Earlier in this thread, the Crown miter square was mentioned. I have one of those, purchased maybe 12 to 15 yeats ago. As with "try squares", those angles in which the stock is faced with a brass plate are generally accurate. Those sides without the plate are not. My Crown has the 45 degree angle accurate. The complimentary angle is horribly off, maybe 1/16", rendering the tool unusable, at least for me: I hate picking up a tool and having to remember it is half inaccurate.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

What is a zombie thread please?
    A thread that died a natural death far in the past, usually resurrected unintentionally when someone takes an interest in an old thread they found in a search.