Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love my parallel clamps

Love my parallel clamps

It sure is tricky clamping these shop drawer boxes together and keeping them square...
    The 4 box sides are mitered at 45 degree and aligned with festool dominos.

I just bought a pair of those yesterday, have you every used the Bessy or Jets,if so how do these compare?

I haven't used the Bessey or Jet, but I find nothing wrong with these and they get great reviews. Most important to me... I got them at a fraction of the cost at a discount store. That's why I have so many

What brand are those?

They say you can never have too many clamps! I recently bought a hand full of those jorgenson cabinet masters, I'm pleased with them too. They compare favorably with the Bessey revos and k bodies, bit cheaper too. Clamping up long miters is always a challenge, looks like you have it licked!
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by Allen (AJ) Breese View Post
    I just bought a pair of those yesterday, have you every used the Bessy or Jets,if so how do these compare?
    I have Bessy, Jets and Cabinet Master and my go to clamps are the Cabinet Master.
    They are heavier then the Bessy clamps and the head moves much easier then the Jets.

I like the handles on the Jets but I hate to have to mess with the trigger thing to move the head.

I have both Bessys and some Cabinet Masters. I like the KP Blocks Bessy has for clamping rail and stile doors. The Cabinet Masters do not fit the KP Blocks. When I first got the Cabinet Masters they would not move easily, I had to knock them with a mallet to release the heads. I emailed Jorgensen and complained and was told just to rap them with a mallet. I responded that i did not have to do that to my Bessys and they sent me new heads for the clamps now they work fine. Just wish they had something similar to Bessys KP Blocks. I know I could make some from wood but the KP blocks are plastic and glue does not stick them.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

What is your source for the clamps? Best price I can find on the Jorgenson Cabinet Master clamps is at Amazon.com - is there a cheaper source?

I have Bessey and Gross Stabil - now defunct. Too bad - I like the GS better, but the differrence is minor/personal preference thing.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    I have both the Jorgys and the Bessys. I like the Bessys better because they are lighter and I have less trouble with moving the heads and once they are in place, getting the head to engage for tightening. Much more wrestling involved with the jorgys.

BTW: Why would you want to do 45 miters on shop cabinet boxes? Seems like a whole lot of extra work for a shop cabinet. There are much stronger joint styles. Practice maybe?
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 01-26-2015 at 1:08 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I am wondering what you store in such deep drawers?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Love Jorgys. 11% off again at Menards this week.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I know I could make some from wood but the KP blocks are plastic and glue does not stick them.
    Make some from plastic.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Two observations:

1) Gross Stabil is not defunct. They are no longer selling clamps here (may not be making them at all), but the company itself is still around.

2) Corner clamps. A set of corner clamps (whether 4 or 8) would make keeping those puppies together much simpler, and reduce the number of bar clamps required.

One question (echoing Marty Tippin):
    What is the discount store that is a good source for these cheap?
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Two observations:

1) Gross Stabil is not defunct. They are no longer selling clamps here (may not be making them at all), but the company itself is still around.
    My mistake. I thought I read a few years back that Bessey bought them out - maybe that was the clamp bidness......

Anyway - haven't been able to find them for a long time.

THanks for the details.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.