Thread: Surprise OSB Breathing-taking reaction!

Exclamation Surprise OSB Breathing-taking reaction!

I picked up a 2' x 4' piece of 7/16" OSB at Home Depot today for a project jig.

I put it in the back floor of the car, got in, and by the time I made it out into the parking lot I could barely breath. I opened the windows and turned on the fan on high as I drove back in the lot. I exchanged it immediately and found the most knowledgable guy in the lumber department to let him know, in case it happened to anyone else.

Have you ever experienced an allergic reaction to OSB / chip board?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Not OSB or chip board but I did find out recently that I'm highly allergic to western red cedar. I had the exact same reaction that you did but was to dumb to realize it at the time.

I would be curious what species of woods are in that material.

I bought 2 sheets of imported, prefinished plywood from a plywood dealer (not a big box store) about a year ago. Not only warp badly enough to be unusable as soon as I cut it, but the next day I was covered in hives that required a trip to the doctor. I have no idea if it was the wood, the glue or the finish, but I had about 4 miserable days.

Yes Brian I have.

Same as you, some crap I bought at Home Depot, breathing issues and a skin rash...........It went in the garbage............Rod.