Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of wood is this?

Question What kind of wood is this?

I was over visiting my parents today who live on a decent size little farm in Utah along the wasatch front, I was out wandering around and there was a tree that someone had just cut down to move from a little creek so I grabbed a little stump and decided to try out milling it down with my new ryobi bs360 rip bandsaw. I'm thinking it is just some cedar, but it's hard to tell, its very old, can't read the bark and no leaves around, but there is a ton of it in better shape that I can chop down anytime. I sawed off a little chunk to get to some of the sapwood grain for a pic. Here it is. Any help is great, I also have some maple for my roubo bench build, and I think some mountain mahogany.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike williams54; 01-26-2015 at 11:12 AM. Reason: My fantastic spelling

Not sure, but if its cedar you would know it from the smell for sure.

Looks like a locust at first glance. Here the trees on a creek are usually willow, ash or a maple though. You can probably get a clue from the look of the standing trees around it.

There is a few maples, several box elder trees, and what I think are ashes. There is also scrub oak everywhere on the hills near buy. I should also note the wood is incredibly hard, compared to walnut and white oak, which are the only woods I've worked with having just moved my collection of tools to my first house with a garage, oh and some Douglas fir my son and I made some toys out of. Locust would be neat, if I can find a couple pieces clean enough to make my vises with atleast. I didn't even think of smelling it, but it definitely has no cedar smell, or any really. But could it just be scent less due to age? I'm going to try and mill it after work, I'll plane down a piece a little to get a better pic. Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it.

That's not any cedar I'm familiar with. If you say it's incredibly hard that would rule out any cedar for sure. Cedar is known for being soft and aromatic.

I'm not from around Utah at all but the wood does look familiar from my travels to Arizona. Is mesquite a possibility ?

Looks like red elm to me.

um, firewood?
    Bryan Vaughan
    Independence, Mo.
    Avatar picture are grandchildren Forrest and Birdie.

I didn't see any other mesquite in that area, firewood is a possibility, except the chimney flue in the house I just bought is collapsed..�� im positive it's not cedar, I'm retarded for thinking it was, I just saw red and jumped to it. This log is rough shape, but there is an entire 50' tree that's about 2-3 wide and straight as an arrow that has been dead a while, I'd like to turn one of my sheds into a little kiln and start drying some lumber for down the road.
    Last edited by Mike williams54; 01-26-2015 at 5:03 PM.

Mike, I wasn't serious about it being firewood, I was just kidding. I don't know what kind of wood it is. Sorry about that.

Bryan
    Bryan Vaughan
    Independence, Mo.

I got a couple 4-5"X2.5-3" boards out of it, this stuff is really hard, but my bandsaw has a huge leeson 2hp motor that sliced right through it, I may be able to make my end vice with them, anyway, here are some pics all milled and planed. And a couple pics of my first ever dovetails in some old solid walnut flooring I picked up for a couple dollars.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike williams54; 01-27-2015 at 11:44 AM.

From your pictures it's a ring-porous or semi r-p wood. Locust or elm are both possibilities. My experience is that elm is not super hard, locust is (relatively speaking). It also reminds me of hickory or pecan although I don't know if you will find those in Utah.

That looks nice Mike. I'll need to learn how to do the dove tails. I've got an Incra Box Joint Jig
    I used this Christmas on a Spice rack for my daughter.
    I am making a drawer for a cabinet I'm building for the trash in the kitchen. A rollout drawer
    and dove tails would be nice for that but I don't have time to learn it now.
    How do you attach thumbnails?

Bryan
    Last edited by Bryan Vaughan; 01-27-2015 at 12:22 PM.
    Bryan Vaughan
    Independence, Mo.

Locust are the trees that have the big seed things right? Maybe half the size and shape of a flat banana... There was a few of those on the ground near by, obviousley not from this tree, but could have been the same type, they were about 20' apart. And yeah, it's really hard, can't even make a mark with my finger nail, which I hear is the most accurate way to test hardness. Dovetails aren't hard to learn, making them look good will be. You could watch one YouTube video on measuring out the spaces and have it down. Im posting pics from my phone, up above where you type their is two icons that look like globes, to the right of them is a picture of a picture, that one will let you pull a pic from your computer(phone) or type in a url to a link.

Spice rack image 2 Dec 2014.pdf
    Spice rack image 1 Dec 2014.pdf

Ok, it looks like this worked.

Thank you Mike.
    Bryan Vaughan
    Independence, Mo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Vaughan View Post
    How do you attach thumbnails?

Bryan
    From quick reply, click on the picture of the tree...
    Screenshot_2015-01-27_15-37-36.jpg

Then click the button to choose a picture
    Screenshot_2015-01-27_15-39-48.png

Choose a picture (notice the circled red area). Then click on the words upload file (underlined blue)
    Screenshot_2015-01-27_15-41-12.png

And say the magic word "Abracadabra!"

Sometimes your picture might be to large then you'll need to resize them before trying to post.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 01-27-2015 at 4:46 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....