Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neander Chippendale lowboy build finished - lots of pics

Blog Entries

Neander Chippendale lowboy build finished - lots of pics

This is the last post of my build of a Chippendale Lowboy taken from Franklin Gottschall's book "Furniture Masterpieces", in cherry with pine secondary wood and with a few small changes to the design, primarily adding a solid wood frame and panel back in place of the plywood in the original.

The finish is Watco Cherry oil/varnish with some Trans Tint "antique maple" dye to make it a little more brown and take out some of the red of the cherry, followed by blonde shellac and paste wax. Hardware is from Lee Valley. I also lined the drawers with some cedar, but didn't get any pictures of that.

Altogether took me about 5-6 months of weekends. I am a novice carver and this piece involve the most carving I've ever done which took the bulk of the time. This was my first attempt at ball and claw feet. The carving was hard on my eyes and not my favorite part of this project, although I did begin to enjoy it more towards the end. I started with the bottom apron, then the feet, and finally the central drawer. My next project will have little if any carving and be big enough so it's not so hard on the eyes (I'm not as young as I used to be).

I apologize for going overboard on the pictures, but I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out – I even got the Bosses approval to put it in the house eventually. For now, it's going in my office.

Thanks for looking, Mike

1.5.jpg1.8.jpg1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg7.jpg6.jpg

Blog Entries
    14.jpg11.jpg10.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

One of the challenges for me is the dried paste wax collects in the crevices of the carving and shows up as small white particles. I tried to brush it out but couldn't get it all. I'm wondering if there's some kind of "liquid wax" I could use next time that would avoid this problem?

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    There are just not enough words to express (a) How much I have enjoyed this thread, and (b) how impressed I am with your work. It has really inspired me to get out the carving tools and step up my game. I especially love the legs and feet. Wow. Awesome is not good enough a word!

Thanks for posting this build, Mike. It's been informative and inspiring. There are never going to be too many pictures for me of the build or the finished product. It's a beautiful piece!

Echoing Malcolm's comment, there are not enough words.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

As someone who hopes to build just a basic lowboy at some point in the future, all I can say is....this thread is an inspiration.

Chris

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    All I can say is ' WOW ' - wonderful job to say the least.

Dave B

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    There are just not enough words to express (a) How much I have enjoyed this thread, and (b) how impressed I am with your work. It has really inspired me to get out the carving tools and step up my game. I especially love the legs and feet. Wow. Awesome is not good enough a word!
    Ditto (except I don have any carving tools)

Just beautiful Mike.

Spectacular work ... and a true heirloom.

Stunning execution! Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

A beautiful piece and an excellent execution Mike. For yor future reference, a dark colored paste wax and a toothbrush are your friends when finishing off a carving and inside corners.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Beautiful, as always Mike. You should consider entering your piece in the SD County Fair this summer.

Mike, that's spectacular! Very well done!

Question about the finish, is the Wato cherry oil/varnish you used their cherry colored Danish oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    The finish is Watco Cherry oil/varnish with some Trans Tint "antique maple" dye to make it a little more brown and take out some of the red of the cherry, followed by blonde shellac and paste wax.

Beautiful Mike! The ball and claw feet look great. Thanks so much for posting, and keep em coming.

Wow! Amazing work. Thanks for sharing the process with us. What's next?