Thread: Just came in the mail today

Just came in the mail today

A small, wood bodied smooth plane
    IMAG0078.jpg
    That "loop" under the iron is to ajust the cut depth. Did I say small?
    IMAG0076.jpg
    That block plane is about 7" long. There is a 76 cast into the cap iron, too
    IMAG0077.jpg
    Seems to be a Liberty Bell #122. Might take an hour, or three to refurb back up? The iron is about 1-3/4" wide, seems to be about a #3 size?

Seems to be all there, no cracks or breaks. A little reddish brown stuff to clean up....

Transitional planes catch a lot of flak from hand plane guys, but they work very well when properly set up. That's a good find and I'm sure you'll have it working in no time.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Iron had the dreaded reverse camber.....worn away in the middle. Bevel was a round-over sort of thing. Got that taken care of, already have run it on a strop. after a bit on the 2.5K grit oily paper.

Chip breaker did need a little tune up.

Iron has simply "STANLEY" stamped into it, no patent dates or other "extras".

Sole had that hump right behind the mouth. What is it with these wood soled planes? All the ones so far have had a bump right behind the opening. Have since wittled it down to flush with the rest of the sole.

Been informed that I will be the dinner chef tonight, so a test drive may have to wait a while.....

BTW, 95% of the japanning is still there....

You are getting quite the collection of transitional planes. I need to make another trip north to produce some moxon toilet paper with you!

A "collection"?.....Really?
    IMAG0080.jpg
    Most of them......oh, you mean the "Trans" planes?
    IMAG0081.jpg
    I do have that #122 about done, though
    IMAG0078.jpg
    It is a bit smaller than the Coffin smoother I have
    IMAG0079.jpg
    There is also a new handle on that Par Plus #5 Jack plane
    IMAG0082.jpg
    Making see-through shavings. Tote is from the firewood stash, as is the shavings.

The Liberty Bell 122 is a bit finicky to set just right.