Thread: Off On My Dovetail Journey...

Off On My Dovetail Journey...

Well, after all these years of woodworking, I'm finally taking the plunge into the deep end of the dovetailing pool. Hope I don't drown. I watched some Rob Cosman vids and got hooked. I then proceeded to his website and purchased...gulp...his Dovetail saw, marking knife and Dovetail video. There's no way I can attend one of his classes, so I hope this video will be effective.
    Wish me luck!

Derek: lots of hand cut dovetail stuff on the Doucette and Wolfe videos. Had a chance to watch several on the week-end, and I may be getting hooked as well. Greg

Thanks Greg. I'll it out. I love the look of hand cut dovetails and I know that they are the mark of a good craftsman. I've just avoided them like the plague for years, making up all kinds of excuses why I've done so. I have a nice, expensive dovetail jig, but that too, I've avoided, just because it takes so long to set up and since I don't use it very often, I have to relearn the process over and over again. Also, once I've made all the machined joints, they always look machine cut...at least to me. There's just something about a thin, delicate dovetail joint, that can't be machine duplicated. I just hope I can do it satisfactorily after this semi-major investment.

You sure jumped in to the deep end, Derek! If you have any experience following a line with a handsaw you should be just fine.
    I would recommend your first few projects being small boxes with just a few tails on each corner. Once you're comfortable with that, try wider boards with more tails.
    Have fun with it! And be sure to post your results!
    Paul

Practice, practice, practice
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I took his class, it was quite similar to the content of the DVDs so you should be in good shape. The biggest problem I had was sawing down perfectly straight next to my line. If it's just the tiniest bit off he kept rejecting my cuts. It probably took me 20 tries to finally get it. Laying out and marking is quite simple with his system.

Wow! Just got a phone call from Rob! Great guy...this is gonna be fun!

I didnt know that Rob monitored this forum. That is good. I took the class several years ago here in Atlanta. Have the DVD, book, and saw.

Its all worth the money. The way I learn, it is hard to tell up front exactly what will reach me. Sometimes, as I'm reading or watching something/one, the light bulb will go off---but that epiphany comes with so many different kinds of presentations/teachers. That is what is so great about this forum-we have so very many good follks giving thier input. How could it be any better?

The way I learn and do stuff is I look for the rules of the road. When three (out of three) authors say do this, or don't do that-take it to the bank. Other points of view are worth considering, cause there are always exceptions.

So....The Rob Cosman dovetail saw is great, it has fine teeth @ the toe to get your cut started, and progresses to larger teeth @ the heel. Well made saw.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    I didnt know that Rob monitored this forum. That is good. I took the class several years ago here in Atlanta. Have the DVD, book, and saw.

Its all worth the money. The way I learn, it is hard to tell up front exactly what will reach me. Sometimes, as I'm reading or watching something/one, the light bulb will go off---but that epiphany comes with so many different kinds of presentations/teachers. That is what is so great about this forum-we have so very many good follks giving thier input. How could it be any better?

The way I learn and do stuff is I look for the rules of the road. When three (out of three) authors say do this, or don't do that-take it to the bank. Other points of view are worth considering, cause there are always exceptions.

So....The Rob Cosman dovetail saw is great, it has fine teeth @ the toe to get your cut started, and progresses to larger teeth @ the heel. Well made saw.
    I never asked...does he resharpen his saws for customers when needed?
    By the way, my Dad used to call me coconut head, he's from Hawaii, because I have to see things done so many times before I learn it. I'll likely watch that dvd a dozen times before my lite goes on.

Gary Rogowski recommends warming up with a '5 minute dovetail' before you cut 'good wood'.

I would say this to anyone starting out with dovetails.
    Bright lights help immesurably.

Some people put a mirror on the far side of the board they're cutting,
    so they can see when to stop.

As to the 'coconut head' remark, if your Dad is like mine - his VCR is still flashing '12:00'.