Thread: The new Jessem doweling jig and .25" guide

The new Jessem doweling jig and .25" guide

I needed to make a face frame for a small project, with material only 1/2" thick and 1-1/4" wide. Decided to use the Jessem jig I purchased from Bill Huber, with the .25" guide bushings.

I use the .25" aluminum pin to reference off the ends of the workpieces, I find this guarantees that the ends of my pieces will be perfectly aligned when it comes time to assemble the joints. Within .001" or so. Just amazing.

I love this jig.

Mr. Huber also sent me a set of his stops for the Paralign jig from Jessem (which I also have). I have a project coming up where I'll be using that jig. I've already tested the stops, they are brilliant. they make the process so fast and painless, I'd dare even say foolproof. The stops are actually better than using your finger. So I'm looking forward to that project. Just need some more straight-grained fir.

I'm including pics of the face frame I made w/ the .25" dowels. Two dowels per joint.

Oh and yeah, I really do clamp workpieces at an angle like that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you have the 1/4" bushings for the big jig?

The little jig looks good but I still don't like not having the clamp built in. it look like it would be some what of a pain to have to mess with clamps.

I have the 1/4" bushing for the big jig and have used it a few time and it works just fine.

The Paralign jig has fixed spacing at 3/4".

The new jig uses inserts with different spacing according to dowel size:

1/4" dowels spaced at 1/2"

3/8" dowels spaced at 3/4"

1/2" dowels spaced at 1"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Do you have the 1/4" bushings for the big jig?

The little jig looks good but I still don't like not having the clamp built in. it look like it would be some what of a pain to have to mess with clamps.

I have the 1/4" bushing for the big jig and have used it a few time and it works just fine.
    I don't have the 1/4" bushings, no, just the 3/8". And I have no doubt the 1/4" bushings would work great on the Paralign. But as John mentions, the newer jig tightens-up the spacing when using the 1/4" insert.

So in the case of this last project, the two 1/4" dowels fit into that 1-1/4" wide piece very nicely. In fact, they're centered. Not that centering matters, I just thought it was funny as I was copying an existing design and it worked out that the 1/4" bushing worked so well.

Clamping on the little jig requires a little extra work. I've been using my Kreg clamp with a little felt pad attached to the side I use on the jig (to prevent scratching it all to heck). I had previously started a thread where I was contemplating making a clamping attachment for the jig but haven't gotten around to it.

But I'm very happy with all my Jessem gear. I have a router lift made by Jessem but sold under the Rockler name. The thing is maybe 13 or 15 years old. I also have the two doweling jigs. Everything has worked very well, I'm very happy with all of it.

I never thought about the spacing on the 1/4", that makes a lot of sense to do it that way.

Despite owning a Domino, I just purchased this jig based on your two recommendations.

There are times when dowels are faster and more appropriate for me. One downside people seldom mention with the Domino is that you need a source for domino stock. If you make them as do I, precise fitting can be an issue. Dowels are just easier to come by.

Anyway, thanks for all the testimonials, Bill/Phil. I respect yr opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Despite owning a Domino, I just purchased this jig based on your two recommendations.

There are times when dowels are faster and more appropriate for me. One downside people seldom mention with the Domino is that you need a source for domino stock. If you make them as do I, precise fitting can be an issue. Dowels are just easier to come by.

Anyway, thanks for all the testimonials, Bill/Phil. I respect yr opinions.
    I will be very interested in hearing feedback from someone of your caliber, Prashun. I find your projects inspirational and your advice is always very helpful.

I know this is a few months old but I'm probably going to order this jig and have a couple questions:

1) does the jig come with the aluminum stop pins?

2) what source(s) do you use for dowels?

Thanks,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I know this is a few months old but I'm probably going to order this jig and have a couple questions:

1) does the jig come with the aluminum stop pins?

2) what source(s) do you use for dowels?

Thanks,

Mike
    (1) I got mine from Mr. Huber. I'm not sure if he had ordered the pins extra, or not. That said, aluminum dowel pins are available from places like McMaster, if you need 'em.

(2) My big plastic bucket of dowels. Whenever I see some at a good price, I buy them and they go into the "big bucket." Tolerances are a little all over the place but I use the tight ones for softwood projects, and the loose ones for hardwood projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    (1) I got mine from Mr. Huber. I'm not sure if he had ordered the pins extra, or not. That said, aluminum dowel pins are available from places like McMaster, if you need 'em.

(2) My big plastic bucket of dowels. Whenever I see some at a good price, I buy them and they go into the "big bucket." Tolerances are a little all over the place but I use the tight ones for softwood projects, and the loose ones for hardwood projects.

Thanks Phil - I can do both of those.

Mike

I have the new style doweling jig on order..shipped today. I ended up getting the complete kit. A few years ago I had the Domino but could just never get it to register correctly. Probably just me but I ended up selling it. Can't wait to use this new jig with my Kreg Automax clamps.

I have both versions of this jig, and the 1/4" guides. They come with the pins.
    I have domino too and still sometimes use the Jessem jig to join pieces. It gives more accurate joint than domino. For my current cabinet project I wanted a bunch of wider than 4' (by 1') height sections of plywood with the grain of walnut running along the short side. Had to join them and I used dowels as it gives a perfectly flush surface.

That was my frustration with the Domino. I could never seem to consistently get a flush surface with the way I was registering. Tried to register it the opposite way and it just never worked. I heard after I sold it that there were some others having the same problem. I'm hoping the Jessem doesn't suffer the same problem. From what I've heard it seems everyone gets a dead on joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sutherland View Post
    I have the new style doweling jig on order..shipped today. I ended up getting the complete kit. A few years ago I had the Domino but could just never get it to register correctly. Probably just me but I ended up selling it. Can't wait to use this new jig with my Kreg Automax clamps.
    Sounds like my story. The Domino worked a little better with an aftermarket domiplate but the plate only worked for a couple thicknesses of wood. Ordered my kit yesterday.