Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Nakashima Style Table

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    Barry,

Could you share with us how much you paid for the book matched slabs. Also what state are you in? I have several book matched slabs of Walnut of similar size and quality and I am try to determine what would be a fair selling price. It seems that with Walnut slabs the sky is the limit. Or at least there is a huge price variability.

Regards,
    James

You are correct about a big price variation. I live in Pa so we have some great lumber/lumber yards. At Hearne hardwoods these slabs together which measured 10ft by about 30 inches would have cost me atleast 2k maybe even close to 2500. I purchased these at Groff and Groff which is pretty much the only place I buy from these days. Great selection and very good pricing. I payed 1300. A bargain for what the table has been valued at.

Awesome job!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Block View Post
    You are correct about a big price variation. I live in Pa so we have some great lumber/lumber yards. At Hearne hardwoods these slabs together which measured 10ft by about 30 inches would have cost me atleast 2k maybe even close to 2500. I purchased these at Groff and Groff which is pretty much the only place I buy from these days. Great selection and very good pricing. I payed 1300. A bargain for what the table has been valued at.
    Thank you for sharing. I was thinking around $1100 for a pair. So I guess I was rite in the ballpark.

You did a fine job on this.

James

Hi Barry - Your table is a work of art. Well done! I wish I was closer to Groff & Groff but it's not out of the question for a road trip! For those of you in central NJ, I've been going to U.S. Mahogany in Aberdeeen. A decent, although hit or miss, selection and very helpful and knowledgeable (but not annoying) staff.
    Regards,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Block View Post
    Barry, that's a great looking table!

Assuming that the slabs started off at 2.5" thick I'm calculating around 62 board feet per slab / 124 board feet total. That works out to be $10.65 per board foot from Groff and Groff, which is a spectacular bargain these days.

Hearne's price would have been around $16.50 - $20.50 per board foot, depending on if you would have paid 2K versus 2.5K for them, which is a little close to the market price on 30" wide BW slabs right now. I've seen wider / longer ones selling for $30.00 bd ft.

I like your base design - very clean. How did you surface them?

Thanks and your numbers all look about right. Groff and groff is great. I've searched hearne a number of times for slabs and not only are their prices high I didn't find any really spectacular.

A lot of The base was cut on the band saw and then planed by hand and finish sanded to 220. It has three coats of lacquer on it over a coat of sander sealer over transtint. All jointery was cut before shaping.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Barry, that's a great looking table!

Assuming that the slabs started off at 2.5" thick I'm calculating around 62 board feet per slab / 124 board feet total. That works out to be $10.65 per board foot from Groff and Groff, which is a spectacular bargain these days.

Hearne's price would have been around $16.50 - $20.50 per board foot, depending on if you would have paid 2K versus 2.5K for them, which is a little close to the market price on 30" wide BW slabs right now. I've seen wider / longer ones selling for $30.00 bd ft.

I like your base design - very clean. How did you surface them?
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-08-2015 at 9:15 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging