Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Nakashima Style Table

First Nakashima Style Table

Well I have been trolling and building for a while now so I thought it was time to post something. I have gotten a lot of interest locally from my Nakashima style Black Walnut book matched dining table so I thought I would share. This is my first time uploasing files hopefully they are the right size.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well now, what's wrong with that? Beautiful and well beyond my expertise. Bravo!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

That's beautiful! I love the bookmatched top! What monster band saw did you use to resaw that top??

jeasus, I don't think that is something I would look forward to. While I actually could resaw something that large if necessary, thankfully I bought two sequential slabs from the same flitch. We have a 24 inch capacity Zimmerman, it is by far the best bandsaw I have ever used. Thanks for the comments. I can tell you buying two expensive rough milled slabs praying for a good match and an asthetically pleasing look is a bit nerve racking. I'll have to see if I have the pics of what I started with.

Very nice. What is used in the joinery of the base, and how is the top fastened to the base crossmembers so as to deal with wood movement?

The cross members just have extra large pilot holes to allow for movement. There are 4 lag screws coutersunk up through the bottom into the top. In order to keep the top as thick as possible and cut down on work the bottom of the top is not planned/milled flat so I routered out a shallow flat recess for the crossmembers to fit up into.

The base is comprissed of saddle joints and bridle joints for the most part. Its probably alot more strait forward then you would think, the hard part is navigating the angles which isn't as difficult as yout think its just creating the right jig and making careful cuts. There is a mortise and tenon between the leg posts and top crossmember. It's a 3/4 inch by 2.5 inch tenon.

Very nice. How long and wide is that top? The overall proportions look great and the clip in the top adds a nice comment - "I do my own thing" . I really like it.

I wonder about your "shallow flat recess for the crossmembers to fit up into." - I hope it is shallow - or a bit longer and/or that you clipped the outside edges of the cross supports so that they don't become and impediment to the top movement that you accommodated with the elongated bolt holes. Just askin'.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

That is beautiful. I especially like the base and the booked matched top where they meet. Live edge tables always look a little strange to me on their ends, like the builder couldn't quite decide how to deal it. I like yours a lot, particularly the left end. The right end not so much, but I don't know quite what I would have done differently. Maybe that's why I've never built a live edge table.

Once again, beautiful work.

John

Blog Entries
    Nice work! Finding matching slabs from a lumberyard is not always easy.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Very nice, how big this monster table? Look very heavy and big size.
    Ed.

I think that somewhere, some day, someone may be making "Block-style" tables. Well done!

REgards, Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gulseth View Post
    I think that somewhere, some day, someone may be making "Block-style" tables. Well done!

REgards, Marty

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Very nice. How long and wide is that top? The overall proportions look great and the clip in the top adds a nice comment - "I do my own thing" . I really like it.

I wonder about your "shallow flat recess for the crossmembers to fit up into." - I hope it is shallow - or a bit longer and/or that you clipped the outside edges of the cross supports so that they don't become and impediment to the top movement that you accommodated with the elongated bolt holes. Just askin'.
    Thanks for compliments, a lot of time went into designing the table and on this type of project that doesn't really happen on paper. So its cut big and take away until it looks right. I built multiple aspects of the base out of plywood or poplar before cutting any walnut. The top measures 1 7/8 inch thick, 42 inches wide and 88 long.

The shallow recess is not a tight fit at all. I left plenty of room for expansion.

Thanks for all the great comments guys. This table was a real labor of love and its very rewarding when others share the same view on the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Block View Post
    jeasus, I don't think that is something I would look forward to. While I actually could resaw something that large if necessary, thankfully I bought two sequential slabs from the same flitch. We have a 24 inch capacity Zimmerman, it is by far the best bandsaw I have ever used. Thanks for the comments. I can tell you buying two expensive rough milled slabs praying for a good match and an asthetically pleasing look is a bit nerve racking. I'll have to see if I have the pics of what I started with.
    Barry,

Could you share with us how much you paid for the book matched slabs. Also what state are you in? I have several book matched slabs of Walnut of similar size and quality and I am try to determine what would be a fair selling price. It seems that with Walnut slabs the sky is the limit. Or at least there is a huge price variability.

Regards,
    James