Thread: Cherry box with a pretty figured and spalted piece of Maple inlaid in the lid.

Smile Cherry box with a pretty figured and spalted piece of Maple inlaid in the lid.

It is a Cherry Box that I turned from a branch that had split off of a tree and was blocking our trail when a friend and I went 4-wheeling North of North-Bay, as it was still attached we just moved it off of the trail.

On our way back I decided to give it a good pull so that it came down and I dragged it to the camp, next day I cut it up, it looked a bit off, I thought than that it was rotting, anyway I did take a couple of short pieces along.

As it turned out the wood was just fine but had some nice lighter streaks in it, of course I was sorry then that I hadn’t brought more of it along, I turned a few pieces from the wood, and this is a small box I made from it, 2 5/8" X 4 1/8".

Turned it first time while still in London and we are here now about 3 years, so it has had time to do whatever it wanted, lid fits just loose, and I hope it will stay that way, but knowing wood, it’l change some.

The top of the lid being endgrain looked a bit plain, so I decided to put something on/in it, small pieces of nice wood that look good for this I do have, but none are nice and flat, so had to cut a relative flat piece out and sand one side smooth, then turned it round to fit the recess I had turned into the lid, It was a little too tight, darn, so I just set everything away again.

A couple of days ago picked it up again for the so maniest time and it felt like I could press it in, so carefully sanded the bottom corner of the disk, then dripped some CA glue in the recess and wiped it around, and pressed the disk in, it worked.

Next day I chucked the lid up and turned the top of the disk smooth, sanded it and then added some finish to it, the top has now been polished and the box is done

Cherrywood box.jpg
    Cherry box.jpg Cherry box 2.jpg Cherry box 1.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Nice work! Like how you inserted the maple.

Very nice indeed! The extra effort with the inlay top was worth it and adds a nice touch....nice job!

Very nice Leo. I like the contrasting insert. Good proportions and striking grain.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Very nice box Leo! I like the contrast of the curly spalted maple insert.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Mr Leo,
    I am very new to this site and to turning but I have looked through some of the threads and I just have to say you make some beautiful pieces! Makes me excited for when I'll be able to create works of art like that. Anyway thanks for sharing!

Always enjoy seeing your work Leo! I really like insert in the top and will be trying some variation of it in the future...as will others.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Heck View Post
    Nice work! Like how you inserted the maple.
    Thanks for commenting Thomas 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Huffman View Post
    Very nice indeed! The extra effort with the inlay top was worth it and adds a nice touch....nice job!
    Thanks for taking the time to comment Steve, it is appreciated
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Very nice Leo. I like the contrasting insert. Good proportions and striking grain.
    Thanks Thom , It is just a simple box, but I like it
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by steven carter View Post
    Very nice box Leo! I like the contrast of the curly spalted maple insert.
    Thank you for commenting Steven
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Johnathon Graham View Post
    Mr Leo,
    I am very new to this site and to turning but I have looked through some of the threads and I just have to say you make some beautiful pieces! Makes me excited for when I'll be able to create works of art like that. Anyway thanks for sharing!
    Thank you Johnathon , hope to see pictures of the things you will make 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Seyfried View Post
    Always enjoy seeing your work Leo! I really like insert in the top and will be trying some variation of it in the future...as will others.
    Thanks Jim , that’s what this is all about isn’t
    Have fun and take care

Jim Seyfried:

I really like the insert in the top and will be trying some variation of it in the future..
    To add to the above, I have done a few more with different material inlays, old piece of bone and spalted Oak as well as the figured and spalted Maple, depending where you are going to use it in, either lighter or darker can suit.

Here are a couple of pictures, have some more, but these show the results well I think 1thumb.gif

Two of these have a cabochon lookalike bone inlaid, then the other one is a spalted Oak inlay and the one made to look like a cork in the top of a bottle, did trick a few that tried to take the cork out
    So you can see there are other material you can use with good effect

Box with Bone inlay.jpg Box with Oak.jpg Box with bone.jpg Cork-look oak inlay.jpg
    Have fun and take care