Thread: How do you drill a 5 1/2" hole with a 3" drill press?

How do you drill a 5 1/2" hole with a 3" drill press?

Made a large tote for a hand plane. It was 5 1/2" long and needed a 1/4" screw hole that went the whole length. My drill press only has about a 3" stroke. I wasnt able to successully drill from each end and meet in the middle. (The word "folly" comes to mind.) So I bought a 6" drill bit, clamped the tote/handle very securely to the press and drilled a hole 3 1/2" deep. Then, I shut off the press and slowly raised the table until the press was back to the start of its 3" stroke. Then I checked that the clamps were still tight, turned the press back on and finished drilling through.

I couldnt find another safe way to do it. The hole is slighly skewed (comes out the other side
    1/8" from where I intended) but I'll live with it. I probably didnt get it clamped quite as square as I intended.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Start with the drill press being sure the drill press and the work-piece are absolutely plumb and level. Machinists will use very accurate levels to do this at times. Then remove from the drill press and finish with a hand drill using the initial hole as a drill jig for the last part. If you had to do a ton of them you could make a sub fixture to reference key points on the tote and set stops on the table so you could flip the fixture.

Another option would be to start the hole and drill as far as you can. Then retract the bit and move the work up. Continue drilling. Since a standard 1/4-in.-dia. bit wouldn't be long enough to get through the tote even if you short chuck it, use a long drill bit such as one of these for that. Make sure you clear chips frequently.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-27-2015 at 8:40 AM.

Do you have a lathe?

drill 3 inches, put 3 inch block of square wood underneath, drill the next 3 inches

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    drill 3 inches, put 3 inch block of square wood underneath, drill the next 3 inches
    This sounds like the best option, because you aren't changing the table alignment.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Thanks guys! This helps!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

8. Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    HUH? How long is the bit? I don't believe you can drill a hole that is deeper than the bit is long no matter how many blocks you use. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wagner View Post
    HUH? How long is the bit? I don't believe you can drill a hole that is deeper than the bit is long no matter how many blocks you use. What am I missing?
    Good point, Richard. That's why I suggested a long bit and posted a link to a source. Evidently some folks must have a trick you and I don't know yet.

OP already bought a long drill bit. I think people are working from there...
    JR