Thread: Proper working height for a lathe? Need to build a stand

Proper working height for a lathe? Need to build a stand

Hi Everyone

I've got my Rikon 70-220VSR out of the box and cleaned up. I build all of my tool stands primarily because I'm not a very tall dude. I stand 5' 6" tall and I find the cabinet height uncomfortable for woodworking.

I measured the floor to my waist and that is 36-37 inches. I assume that my arm and tool should be somewhat parallel to the floor, thus meaning the centerline of the lathe should stand at around the same height.

Is this correct?

Thank you all

George

I read somewhere recently that a lathe should be at elbow height. Does that seem to be a comfortable height? I don't have a lathe at the moment.

Red
    RED

Ditto on the headstock centre at elbow height. However, that is just a starting point and adjust to taste. I have mine about an inch or so higher than elbow height.

Thanks guys. My elbows are approx an inch higher than my waist. 37-38 inches will put the centerline about there. Since I am building out of 2x4 and plywood, I think I will add in some height adjustment into the legs

Appreciate the help

George

Center line of headstock and tailstock should be just above elbow held relaxed. At 6'4 Trent Bosch has it about 3" above. I think the length of the long bones and type of work done affect that. With bowls you often hold the chisel end low on your hip and stand straight. With spindle work the chisels are held higher and you head is more above the work so a lower mounting is better.

I would build the bench so that the spindle height is slightly BELOW your elbow if you are doing pens and other spindle orientation, but design it so that you can easily raise it (add feet?) if that is not comfortable. You may need to raise it as much as 3".

Also, design your bench so that you can get right up tight against the side of the lathe, and unobstructed close access to the tailstock end to make hollowing easier.

Hmm I started this while you were typing...
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

When I first got a lathe I used 2" buildup blocks to raise the spindle height to my elbow and I turned with it for years like this. Several years ago I took the lathe off the buildup blocks to move it, then, because of the weight of the lathe I was unable to get it back on the blocks by myself. While waiting for my Son-in-law to come by and help me with it, I went ahead and used it and found that I like the lower height. I have been turning with this lathe it at 2" below my elbow every since. I recently build a lathe stand for my Delta 46-460 by modifying a Harbor Freight Lathe Stand (using only the legs). The height of the legs and the 46-460 put the spindle height at my elbow (I'm 6' 1"). I find that I'm just as comfortable turning at this height as I am at the lower height. In fact, I can go from one to the other without even noticing the difference. So, I suggest that you make your stand adjustable and experiment with different heights to find the one you are most comfortable with.

Thanks again for all your help. I am definately going to incorporate some sort of height adjustment. I am envisioning a beam type of deisgn with either splayed legs or workbench style legs to give the beam stability when the lathe is spinning.

Also, would locking casters be a terrible idea on a lathe stand? i have a small shop and often have to move stuff around. I have a spare HTC mobile tool base but was looking to avoid using it so it doesn't interfere with my foot placement when turning.

Thanks

George

Locking casters are OK if of good quality. I have seen some use small cups under the wheels and a lever to lift so the cups can be removed. Something like what the Powermatic does would be best. Years ago I saw Norm Abrams build a work table with rollers that moved out of the way for stability.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks Thom. i will check into both of those designs

Another consideration is to provide some spacer blocks between the lathe and bench to increase clearance under lathe for cleaning. I have found on the little lathes that the clearance under the motor and control box makes removing chips hard. I also put my midi lathe on a "traveling" board to make it easier to move and use on a workmate when going to a class or demo.