Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dremel tool, how much use?

Dremel tool, how much use?

Several ago, I was given a Dremel for Christmas..It gathered dust and I later gave it away.....Recently, i have several opportunities to buy a Dremel set w accessories at an attractive price....With the changes in the "tool world" (oscillating tools etc), I question the value of owning one. What is your opinion? are they worth owning and how do you guys use them? My urge to buy was prompted when recently I was refurbishing a used handplane and thought it would be nice to have a small Dremel to get in those tiny nooks and crannies...Let me know your opinions and thoughts...thank you..
    Jerry

I don't use mine often but when I need a small motorized tool for something, I'm glad I've got it. Even though I have a Fein oscillating tool, the Dremel is still a worthwhile tool in my shop.

They're are very handy when you need the job done that one will do. They aren't built for much use though. I've burned up two of the gray ones in the past couple of years. Both times, I went back to the old black single speed one, that's probably 40 years old, to finish the jobs. The old one is tired, and I'm sure it won't do much more, but so far, I've been hesitant to buy another one. I guess if Festool made a small rotary tool, I might have to buy my first Festool.

I use the small cut off wheels that come in a kit for Dremel (50-100 pcs/pack),and the grinding /sanding bits .just the other day I used it(Dremel & cut off wheel) to cut an Aluminum T-track in half,the small sanding bits are very handy to have around.

Blog Entries
    Mine is in the case collecting dust. I have a habit of never getting rid of tools that I might need one day. If I was to get rid of a tool, that would be the first one to go.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Like Tom I still have my original Dremel tool that I bought in 1976 and a newer one that has adjustable RPM. The black one has consumed at least three sets of new motor brushes but it still is a reliable tool. I use both of my Dremel tools regularly in my sign shop. They are invaluable for the kinds of jobs that they do well, things that an oscillating tool or larger grinder won't do.

Everyone who owns a Dremel tool uses the cut off wheels and they break more often than not. I started using the diamond cut off wheels from Harbor Freight a couple years ago, they are one of the real gems from HF and they
    will cut solid carbide easily. Not to mention I have never had one of the diamond wheels break.

My old Dremel hangs on a nail near my wood lathe. I use it as the last polishing step when I turn Corian or acrylic pen blanks. It takes just a few seconds to put a beautiful shine on my pen blanks using white buffing compound on the small diameter felt buffing wheels.

I also own one of the 80,000 RPM air pencil style grinders. I don't use it very often but it has its place when high speed grinding is a must. Mine is a commercial model that I have had for at least 20 years and I recommend the air grinders for jobs that the air hose isn't cumbersome.

Blog Entries
    I have had one for years and used it seldom. I finally went the few bucks more for the variable speed version and now find it incredibly useful. Different folks will find differing situations. If you haven;t missed having one yet, you probably don't really need it ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Mine was a gift too. Sat in a drawer for years, but then did use it on something (sharping bandsaw blades) and thought it was nice to have. I've used to recently to cut a few small bolts down to size, easier than getting out the angle grinder. They have there place and their small enough to easily stash out of the way when not using.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I find many uses for the rotary tools. But do you mean Dremel, specifically, or rotary tools generally? I have two Dremel rechargeables with nicad batteries, and feel they're way underpowered and have short battery lives. Suitable only for very light hobby work and trimming dog nails, IMO. Don't know about the new lithium battery Dremels, but still suggest you stay with one of their better corded models, if you go Dremel. You also may want to consider alternatives. Last year I picked up a couple of the HF corded 120v rotary tools (not their little 12v corded units, which are very underpowered, or their 9v cordless) and have been surprised at how good they are. http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...-pc-68696.html. Variable speed and pretty quite. I've seen them as low as $17 - $18 with a coupon.

As another poster mentioned, an air-powered die grinder is another way to go. But for me, they are a bit noisy at high speed, so you need ear protection. And it means airing up the compressor for even a quick job. Also consider the corded, hanging units with a flex shaft that you can operate with a foot pedal (not the handheld units with an optional flex shaft). I have a flex-shaft knock-off of a Foredom that I picked up a few years ago at a woodworking show out of curiosity for around $50 as a show special, and it works great when I want more power and don't need to move much. It claims to be 1/4 hp, but my guess is closer to 1/6. Whatever it is, it seems to deliver.

I use mine at least once a week and sometimes several times a day for carving. I also use them for cutting copper pipe and clean up of burs on cut metal, for polishing metal and sanding in tight places. I also have the hanging versions of WeCheer and Foredom that get a lot of use.

I got a Proxxon after my third Dremel burned up: http://shop.prox-tech.com/c/hand-hel....1029645.0.0.0

Not much more expensive and about a thousand times nicer.

Thanks Peter, for posting that. I had seen them a while back in catalogs, but had forgotten about them-not needing to have a "dremel" in my hand for a while. I'm going to order one now.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    My old Dremel hangs on a nail near my wood lathe. I use it as the last polishing step when I turn Corian or acrylic pen blanks. It takes just a few seconds to put a beautiful shine on my pen blanks using white buffing compound on the small diameter felt buffing wheels.
    Keith,

Could you provide a bit more info on this process? It sounds like something I may want to do when I venture into acrylics/Corian.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Thumbs up

Excellent use for a rotary-type tool btw:

I find that my blades actually cut better than the factory grind after I've gone over them using the above method.

I don't use my Dremel very often but when I do I really need it. Quite often it is a problem late at night so I keep an extra dramel and plenty of accessories on hand.

They do burn out but they seem to burn out politely. It is more surprising than scary when I see flames coming out of it.

I'm in favor of a tool like this but not particularly thrilled with dremel. I may try the WeCheer or the Foredom.

I hate having to buy a combination kit to get the five bits I need.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.