Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drill press?

Drill press?

Hi everyone, I'm jack and new to Saw Mill Creek and woodworking in general. My first of what I'm sure will be many questions is about the drill press. Like I said I'm new to woodworking and just starting my tool collection. It seems as though every video I watch of anyone making anything they use a drill press at some point. So is it worth it for a beginner like me to invest in one? If so, any recommendations on a relatively inexpensive press? I'm just a hobbyist who has started with making coffee and bedside tables so I don't think I'd need anything crazy powerful. Thanks in advance for any advice, I'll take all I can get. Cheers.

A drill press would not be the top tool on my list for someone just starting out. I would start with a good saw and build your shop around it. There are many options for a good saw... table saw, radial arm saw, track saw, band saw.

I don't use my woodworking drill press very often. When I need it having one is awfully nice though. I use my metal working drill press much more often.

Most any drill press will drill a decent hole. I have a 20 year old Harbor Freight drill press that does a very good job. My 60 year old Walker Turner drill press is much nicer though!

I'd agree that for a beginning woodworker, a drill press is not an absolute must. A table saw makes sense to me. For many woodworking drilling tasks, a hand drill is fine. But when you need to use a Forstner bit, or even drill a bunch of holes to a certain depth, there is no substitute for having a drill press.

As someone who just buys high-end tools now, I'd recommend the opposite, and say go to Harbor Freight and buy one of their benchtop models. Many magazines have Harbor Freight coupons, so use their 20% off coupon if the drill press is not on sale (and sometimes HF will let you use a coupon on a sale item, it just depends). For items like table saws, miter saws, and hand tools, I'd probably recommend buying the absolute best you can afford, but many Harbor Freight drill presses are pretty decent, and certainly you are not doing precision work on them like you would on a table saw, you just want a better way to bore holes. I've seen benchtop models on sale for $40 to 60, which is a pretty reasonable investment. And considering you are just starting out, that means using more of your tool budget to invest in all the other tools you need.

I bought a Delta benchtop drill press years ago, and frankly, the newer Delta stuff is nowhere near the quality it used to be. Sadly, that is true of many name-brand tools today. If you are patient, you might find a deal on an older drill press on Craigslist, depending on where you live. I am searching for an older full sized drill press, and having a really hard time, but I'm not in desperate need for one, so I somewhat have the luxury of time on my side, other than I am not going to wait forever for that incredible deal. If nothing shows up in the next year or so, I am likely to buy a Powermatic, but that also means forking out about $1400.

Have fun shopping. Building a shop and a collection of tools is certainly rewarding. I've been doing woodworking for almost 50 years, and still love to head to my shop and convert expensive wood into sawdust.

Welcome to the creek...

I recommend a table saw as your first purchase, and maybe a track saw instead (Festool has a great setup). I own a Dewalt track saw and a SawStop.

I suppose that first you need to decide what it is you want to do / make with respect to wood working. In some respect, this may also then influence the wood that you will use. Your wood will in some respect influence what you want to purchase.

A few examples are

• Turning things (like chisel handles)
    • Carving
    • Furniture
    • Small boxes

If you want to build large furniture, it is common to use large sheets of plywood. So how do you break down large sheets of plywood? For me that means a track saw. If you have sufficient space, you may do this on a table saw.

I use my table saw to rip boards to size, and, I can use a cross-cut sled to many of the jobs that are done on a "chop saw". I eventually purchased a Kapex for those tasks when I needed to cut a bunch of molding.

Some people like to use track saws rather than a table saw. Some of the neanders do most of this work by hand, but I can assure you that is is a hard job to rip a six foot long board.

Some people like to use a band saw for their primary cutting. Not sure that would be well suited for ripping long straight lines, I have never used a bandsaw.

How about stock prep? Will you purchase your lumber presized and ready to go, or, will you purchase rough lumber and mill it? If that is the case, then you require a surface planer and something to use for jointing (a jointer, or, a sled for your surface planer). I started with just the table saw and I purchased lumber ready to go. I paid my supplier to mill the wood for me. I later purchased a Dewalt planer off craig's list and it saves me a bunch of money on wood.... and I can mill it to size. I just do not have room for a jointer, so, I use a sled in my planer to do this.

Some people use hand planes to flatten their wood and set the thickness.

Be sure to learn how to use your equipment (safety matters). My first saw was old and had no safety stuff on it. My first cut on a piece of plywood caused a kick back and I caught the board in my stomach. It hurt a lot and caused a huge bruise. This is less of a problem with a track saw. If you opt for a table saw, get one new enough that it has certain safety features. If your saw is new, it will have safety features. I opted for a SawStop since it is only a hobby and the loss of a finger (or similar) was just too great a risk for me. That said, you are more likely to have an issue like a kick back, so things like a riven knife, anti-kickback pawls, and a blade guard are probably way more important than flesh sensing technology.

The riven knife prevents the wood from twisting, the pawls keep the wood from feeding backwards, and the blade guard keeps your fingers away from the blade. Newer saws allow you to quickly and easily remove and add the riven knife so you will use it.

Next consideration is dust collection. Breathing dust is a bad thing. My saw is in my basement, and I do not want that dust all over the house.

Although you are correct that a drill press is a great tool, I still only have a very lowly bench top drill press that is not powerful, not easy to use, and it has a lot of run-out. What I lack is the money to replace it... You will likely find that a hand held drill will handle many of your immediate needs.

Finally, what joinery methods will you use? Pocket holes are very fast. Hand cut dovetails take work to learn....

Sorry, probably a longer response than you wanted.

Drilling one hole is no big deal, but a drill press comes in mighty handy when you want to drill several along the same line accurately. For 20 years I had an old bench top model, before I got the free standing one. I recommend you find a nice clean benchtop. There are several on my local craigs list for $50 to $100.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Reep View Post
    As someone who just buys high-end tools now, I'd recommend the opposite, and say go to Harbor Freight and buy one of their benchtop models. Many magazines have Harbor Freight coupons, so use their 20% off coupon if the drill press is not on sale (and sometimes HF will let you use a coupon on a sale item, it just depends). For items like table saws, miter saws, and hand tools, I'd probably recommend buying the absolute best you can afford, but many Harbor Freight drill presses are pretty decent, and certainly you are not doing precision work on them like you would on a table saw, you just want a better way to bore holes. I've seen benchtop models on sale for $40 to 60, which is a pretty reasonable investment. And considering you are just starting out, that means using more of your tool budget to invest in all the other tools you need.
    Stay away from the Harbor Freight 8" drill press... it is too small to be of any real practical use. The 13" Bench top drill press is much more capable.... or any of the floor model drill presses. I have a 17" floor model Harbor Freight drill press and it has served me very well and is very flexible for many different tasks. I still prefer my ancient Walker Turner drill press though!

Jack,

Welcome to the forum and to woodworking. That said...

I just threw a curve at you: What is "woodworking"? Ask 50 people and you may get 50 different answers. Then ask what tools do each of them use and you may get 50 different lists (although some lists may contain the same tools, like a table saw). Now ask them WHERE they are going to work and you get a bunch more answers. Finally, ask for cost level and you get a bunch more answers. So woodworking and the tools you need are based on your interests, needs, and constraints. That can make it tough.

To address your initial question about a drill press, they are nice to have but should be farther down your tool list until you have a defined need. I spent years rebuilding part of my house with a bunch of Festool stuff and never needed a drill press. That is, until I had to install handles on new bathroom cabinet drawer fronts. After trying multiple ways of getting very accurate holes for the handles, I caved in and bought a drill press. At that point, I knew that it was the only way to get extremely accurate holes in a difficult location. My two drills (and two impact drivers and one hammer drill) wouldn't handle it.

As the old saw goes (pardon the pun), "Knowledge is power". My recommendations:

1) Think about the design of your coffee and bedside tables. If they require straight cut's, table saws will probably work nicely. Lots of curves? Start looking at other tools like band saws, routers, and hand tools - especially hand tools.

2) Consider the space you have available. Lots of space? Start with good table saw. Limited space (like me)? Think track saws and other tools that are designed to work in limited space. Table saws are great, but they take up space. Track saws are much more compact and easier to use when cutting sheet goods.

3) It may take a while to answer this question, but what do you like to use better - power tools or hand tools. Each category has pluses and minuses. Me? I'm a hybrid woodworker. I use both. I typically use power tools for the bulk work and then switch to hand tools for final work.

Since you're interested in building furniture and since you're just starting out, you may want to buy "Hybrid Woodworking" - an ebook by Marc Spagnuolo that covers power tools and hand tools. His website (http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com) covers a lot of different topics, but a lot are about building furniture. Much of his focus in his ebook comes from that perspective.

Most importantly (IMO) the book lists the power and hand tools that Marc thinks are very important, somewhat important, and nice to have. The table saw is first on his list. Then he covers routers, band saws, track saws, sanders, jigsaws, etc. After the main section, he covers "Other Power Tools" (tools of less importance). The drill press is in this section. The final section of the book covers four projects - two are furniture and one is a wall cabinet.

I bought this book. IMO, it is excellent and can give you a lot of good information to help you get started.

Here is a book review: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/w...ookreview.html

If interested, you can get it here: http://www.shopwoodworking.com/hybri...07710000031887

Good luck with your choices.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. Yes, I got the term "hybrid woodworker" from Marc's book. I use it because it accurately describes me.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

I don't use my drill press very often. It depends what you make. I say start some projects and plan your tool purchases around them. My top 3 tools ar table saw, jointer , planer. Everybody is different.

Jigs and fixtures, the life's blood of woodworking, are screwed together. And if you can't drill or measure, you can't make jigs.
    Move ahead with your woodworking with a drill press or stay in the dark ages.

Jack

Welcome to the 'Creek.
    I think you definitely need a drill press, but I also think that any homeowner, regardless of woodworking, would benefit in owning one. I can't count the number of times I've drilled and tapped, yes tapped, metal in mine to fix something around the house.
    I have an 11" Delta bench top model, circa 1995, that has done a lot for me. It cost about $75.00 new.
    Get a small bench top model and a nice set of Bradpoint bits.

Pat's advice is spot on. To do accurate woodworking, you'll need to make accurate jigs and fixtures. A drill press goes a long way towards making this happen. Even a cheap small one like I have.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-27-2015 at 4:24 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

DP also excellent to have if you plan on a lot of M+T joints - much better accuracy in drilling out the waste before clean-up with the chisel. Unless you get a hollow chisel mortiser, which should not be high on your list.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

You don't need to spend a lot of money on a drill press if you're patient and willing to buy used. I found a nice 12 inch bench top Craftsman for $100 at their warehouse store. Recently bought a Delta 17-950 drill press for around $200 off Craigslist. Over the last year, I've seen many drill presses being sold for $100-$300. I find I'm using a drill press more than expected. My first purchases though were a table saw, planer, jointer, and bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by David Masters View Post
    Y. I found a nice 12 inch bench top Craftsman for $100 at their warehouse store. .
    Dunno if I could personally go with a craftsman, but in general, I have often thought about getting a second DP - small, bench-top, to sit right behind me when I am at my workbench. LIght-weight tasks that don't need my old-arn PM 1150, that is across the shop. Betcha it could handle 50% of what I want the DP to do. Thinking about a used Delta 300L - var speed, 102v. Or, a rebuilt Walker-Turner, just because they look so cool...............

So - if the OP starts with a small benchtop, it might not be wasted $$ if / when he goes to a big-time floor model.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Welcome Jack!

I use my drill press on a lot of projects. I build small and medium furniture, decorative boxes and shop furniture/fixtures/jigs. It was the second stationary tool I bought. (Tablesaw was first.) I have never been good at drilling perpendicular holes with a hand drill. I agree you can make do with a benchtop model if needed.

All the best,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”