Thread: WS3000 + WS Tool Bar + Tormek Multi Jig = really sharp carving tools

WS3000 + WS Tool Bar + Tormek Multi Jig = really sharp carving tools

Hi Everyone

I ordered WS' tool bar and Tormek's Multi-Jig. First the items are designed for turning tools so the guides that come with the jigs are designed for angles steeper than 20 degrees. But, if you are handy enough to make your own set up guide, this seems to work really well for sharpening carving tools.

I tried it out with an old Addis gouge that was as sharp as a spoon. I was able to regrind the tool and hone it to 1200 grit paper on the WS3000. A few strokes on a strop and it was cutting wood like a new Pfeil gouge.

Thought I would pass along this option for anyone having trouble maintaining thier angles while sharpening free hand, like me

Regards

George

I'm watching this thread with interest to see if if this is a viable and practical solution. I like my WS3000 for sharpening my bench chisels and plane irons now.

Hi Rick

I'm not surprised that this didnt get much traction. i had previously posted if anyone was using the WS3000 to sharpen carving gouges and didnt get any replies....alot of views but no replies. Anyway I can take some pics this weekend and send them to you if you like

Regards

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Farra View Post
    Hi Rick

I'm not surprised that this didnt get much traction. i had previously posted if anyone was using the WS3000 to sharpen carving gouges and didnt get any replies....alot of views but no replies. Anyway I can take some pics this weekend and send them to you if you like

Regards

George
    George I would love to see the pic's as well...

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Hi Richard

Sent ya an PM. buzz me back

Regards

George

I have had a good deal of success using a Tomz Massager sharpening tool for my woodcarving gouges. Obviously the speed is way down from what t WS3000 is capable of turning. But to be honest, I think that is better. I think you end up with more control over the sharpening and can successfully sharpen a wider range of carving tools on it. I like to use sandpaper on the Corian discs that Tom provides at an additional charge. He sends along two diamond discs and a leather honing disc along with the sharpener. I just like the sandpaper better. I mount a 400 and a 600 grit to the two sides of one disc and a 1,000 and a 3,000 grit to another. Those plus the strop and I am all set. The diamond discs are fine by the way. I just like the idea of running though four grits if I really have to repair an edge. If am going to use the paper part of the way I feel better about using the paper for the whole job.

Mine is the single disc machine. I really don't think there is much advantage to the double disc machine. They cost more and there is not much room left alongside for a handhold or for something to hold onto the gauge if you like that sort of thing. But it really was critical to improving my carving as it turned sharpening or honing into an integral part of my carving activity as opposed to something I did separately from carving. Now, as soon as I feel the edge going I am onto the Tomz to freshen the edge.

After chatting with George about the function and purpose of the Tormek Multi-jig and WS Accessory Tool Rest I decided to experiment with making a simple collar that performs essentially the same functions since I already own a WS3000 for sharpening bench chisels and plane irons.. Using a scrap of close-grained hardwood about 1" thick and about 3" square, I fashioned a circular collar 2 1/2" in diameter and drilled a hole through the centre the same diameter as the circular gouge I wanted to sharpen. I drilled a hole through the thickness for an insert into which I inserted a threaded thumb-screw to secure the collar to the shaft of my chisel. I can set the collar at any location along the shaft of the chisel to yield the bevel I want.. i.e.. 22 1/2 degrees and merely tighten the thumb-screw at the appropriate location. The front of the collar is firmly held against the rear of the Standard WS Tool Rest and the chisel with attached collar can be rotated to produce a uniform bevel. I'll probably make several collars to accept different width of chisels.. maybe 2 or 3 will do the job. I can record the desired length of shaft to achieve the normal bevel I want so it's easily repeatable each time the collar is used on the chisel. I can use the same setup for grinding and stropping on the WS3000. This setup seems to do it's job fine.
    It took me about 15 minutes to make the first collar and drink a cup of coffee.
    The hundred-odd $ I figured on spending on the Multi-jig and WS Accessory Tool RestTool remains in my pocket. There may be other good uses for these accessories but I don't consider them essential for this purpose.
    I have no opinion as whether the WS is better or worse than the other power sharpening machines. Each may perform their functions well.
    I've attached a few pics to demonstrate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

image.jpg

I dont know know how to rotate the picture. But this works great for sharpening gouges.