Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: low pressure in tires with cold weather

low pressure in tires with cold weather

I have tires on my track for last 23000 miles. One of the tire were repaired summer time. Now every time when temperature fall in the morning -low pressure lights is on. Tires with normal wear thread, close to be replace but not yet, at least by miles rating. Do you think I need to replace all tires and forget for next 25000 miles or this is normal to have lower pressure warning when in the morning temperature going low?

Ed.

The tire pressure indicators on my Honda CR-V will indicate low pressure for days when the temps get below 0*.

It's the same phenomenon that the New England Patriots have with their footballs.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Jerry.... Hahahahaha.

Our Mini Cooper does the same thing. I have to reset the warning light every once in a while. Honestly, I find the whole TPMS thing more trouble than it's worth most of the time but unfortunately, there seems to be no way to disable it.

Erik Loza
    Minimax

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Honestly, I find the whole TPMS thing more trouble than it's worth most of the time but unfortunately, there seems to be no way to disable it.
    Agreed. Though I did read a story of some guy who put all four units in his spare tire (with the obvious loss of high-speed travel on his spare).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have TPMS in both my truck and car and never have this issue. Before the light will come on the pressure has to be at an unsafe level which is more than a couple pounds under recommended pressure. You should check your tires in the late fall to increase the pressure due to the loss caused by the falling temperatures. As Jerry said it is the same issue as the Patriots have with the footballs. On the converse, tire pressure will increase in the spring due to the warmer temperatures. If you get in the habit of checking your tire pressure every month or two you should not have this issue.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Eduard

No, you don't need to replace the tires. At this point you should fill all your tires to the recommended cold tire inflation pressure stamped on the sidewall. If your getting this warning, one, or some, of your tires are low on pressure, at any temp. Be sure to check your spare tire also. It's gotten many people.

Erik
    We have two 'Coopers. An R56, 2009 S, and a 2013 JCW, also R56. I switch tires and rims between summer and winter, and just keep checking psi every now and then. Rarely do I ever get that alarm.
    Only way to disable it is to mount all four TPMS sensors in a sealed PVC cylinder, and pressurize them, and put it in the boot. This is how the folks get by the TPMS when they want to use aftermarket rims that aren't TPMS compatible. If you have a Generation 1 Mini, I don't think the TPMS can be faked in this manner though.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-27-2015 at 5:48 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Erik
    We have two 'Coopers. An R56, 2009 S, and a 2013 JCW, also R56. I switch tires and rims between summer and winter, and just keep checking psi every now and then. Rarely do I ever get that alarm.
    Only way to disable it is to mount all four TPMS sensors in a sealed PVC cylinder, and pressurize them, and put it in the boot. This is how the folks get by the TPMS when they want to use aftermarket rims that aren't TPMS compatible. If you have a Generation 1 Mini, I don't think the TPMS can be faked in this manner though.
    Mike: Interesting. I suspect that the F56's must be more sensitive about this than the earlier generations. There seems to be some chatter to that effect on the Mini forums. Did the R56's come with run-flats? Ours are and folks generally seem to hate them (myself included). I get the alarm any time the outside temps drop into the 30's.

Erik Loza
    Minimax

I've owned Mini's since 10/08 and they have all come with run flats. I use Blizzaks and Winter Sport 3D's, both Run Flats, in the winter. Summertime I switch to Hankook V12's, non run flat. I'd use Hakkapelita's in the winter, but they don't seem to make a tire compatible with what I have in Rims. I don't think you guys have this problem in Texas.
    I pretty much hate the Run Flats also. the ride is very harsh on a 45 series tire.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-27-2015 at 4:37 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Ours has the Hankooks. First run-flats I have owned and I don't have an issue with them in terms of peformance or handling, but the road noise is TERRIBLE! Both on the highway and then any time you run over any sort of bump, "Boom!", like you broke something in the suspension. The first time I test drove the car (which I otherwise love...), I remember thinking, "What the heck did I just run over?". Going back to regular tires once these go, for sure.

You can jump up a series to 50's if you aren't running the 19" rims for a "plusher ride".
    Hankook just replaced the V12 with a new series V12. It's a little loud, but not as a bad as the run flats.
    Continental is supposed to have a very nice, quiet, non run flat, high performance tire. I'm probably going to switch to those when my V12's need replacement.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Agreed. Though I did read a story of some guy who put all four units in his spare tire (with the obvious loss of high-speed travel on his spare).
    This does not work with all cars.
    My VW TRS works off rotation differential indicating a lower diameter tire.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    You can jump up a series to 50's if you aren't running the 19" rims for a "plusher ride".
    Hankook just replaced the V12 with a new series V12. It's a little loud, but not as a bad as the run flats.
    Continental is supposed to have a very nice, quiet, non run flat, high performance tire. I'm probably going to switch to those when my V12's need replacement.
    May do that, thanks. We have 17's.

Erik Loza
    Minimax

The ideal gas law (PV=nRT) says that if you keep the volume constant, as it mostly is with automobile tires, then the pressure goes up and down as the temperature goes up and down, respectively. Over large swings in temperature, this pressure will vary several psi - enough to set off your TPM. If that happens, your tires really do need more air.

My TPMS will go off at some point every winter without fail. One of these years you would think I would remember to check my tires at the start of winter.

I have had them go off even with the proper pressure in them from the battery being weak.