Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: low pressure in tires with cold weather

My car does the exact same thing, if you get in when it's cold, you'll get a low-pressure warning but if you drive for a couple of minutes, it turns off. Last time I had it at the dealership, I had them check out the tires since they were doing a tire rotation anyhow and they said everything was fine. They could offer no solution other than offering to replace the sensors, which wasn't covered by the warranty.

The explanation is that as you drive, the tires are heated by friction with the road and flexing. The increase in temperature heats the air in the tires and the pressure goes up and out of the warning range. If your mechanic didn't know that, you need to look for a new mechanic. Perhaps they were just trying to sell some new tire pressure monitor devices.

simply fact is if the tires are losing air pressure they have something leaking. Could be the stem leaking at the rim, the valve core, around the rim from debris on the rim or tire when the tires were mounted or a small pin hole it the tire. I have the same issue on our van. ONE tire seeps down and after a few weeks the low tire pressure light comes on. Spec calls for 36 psi, while manual says the indicator light will come on around 45 psi on the high side and 28 psi on the low side. So you could be a could of pounds above the minimum then cold temperature cause the pressure to drop slightly until you drive some - just as mentioned. If you go weeks without having to add air the leak would be hard to locate, and could require dismounting the tire from the rim to cure.

I just started and moved a car that has been parked over 2 years with all the tires very low, but none "flat"; the lowest showed 2.5 psi. Tags expired in March 2013. I think they did good, and have stayed up since. Ready to go to it's new home soon.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

When the TPMS idiot light turns on, I check the pressure and adjust as necessary.

If it was happening every day or two I'd suspect I had something stuck in the tire.

I always check tire pressures in late fall.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Garner View Post
    This does not work with all cars.
    My VW TRS works off rotation differential indicating a lower diameter tire.

Howard
    I'm confused... why would a TPMS need rotation (or tire size, for that matter) to determine tire pressure?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Sounds to me like the TPMS is working fine. An understanding of gasses in relation to temperature is not. Have your tires filled with nitrogen and rest easy all season, unless you have a leak or a flat.

Temperature Change. All gases expand and contract with temperature. If you live in an area that experiences dramatic temperature changes, you will have to adjust your tire pressure accordingly. Typically you will only have to adjust your tire pressure "up", adding pressure as ambient temperatures decrease. Count on losing about 2% of your total tire pressure for every 10 degrees in temperature reduction. -http://www.nitrofill.com/nitrogen-filled-tires-faqs.aspx
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I have had them go off even with the proper pressure in them from the battery being weak.
    I had to replace the sensor

There are some tire pressure sensors that require tire rotation (driving the car, called indirect TPMS) to determine pressure. There are also some cars TPMS systems that need to be reset when you rotate your tires. I had a friend that had those on his Cadillac. The one on his Cadillac actually tells him what tire is low.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Eduard, if the weather is cold you need to add air to your tires to inflate them to the value specified on the sticker on the door.

The air pressure in your tire falls with lower temperatures and the tires will be under-inflated.

regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I'm confused... why would a TPMS need rotation (or tire size, for that matter) to determine tire pressure?
    They shouldn't. But they likely aren't doing anything when they aren't rotating, in order to preserve battery life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    They shouldn't. But they likely aren't doing anything when they aren't rotating, in order to preserve battery life.
    You're right, I'm an idiot for not remembering that...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Sounds to me like the TPMS is working fine. An understanding of gasses in relation to temperature is not. Have your tires filled with nitrogen and rest easy all season, unless you have a leak or a flat.
    I let the tire store fill my tires with nitrogen. I top them up with a 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, 1% carbon dioxide blend (i.e. normal air). Pressure changes relative to temperature are the same for all types of gasses.

Steve

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post

Temperature Change. All gases expand and contract with temperature. If you live in an area that experiences dramatic temperature changes, you will have to adjust your tire pressure accordingly. Typically you will only have to adjust your tire pressure "up", adding pressure as ambient temperatures decrease. Count on losing about 2% of your total tire pressure for every 10 degrees in temperature reduction. -http://www.nitrofill.com/nitrogen-filled-tires-faqs.aspx
    I've never understood this suggestion (in theory or realistic terms). Air is already 78% nitrogen. The remaining 22% has negligible effect at the pressure we run our daily drivers.

Reminds of my wife's trip to the local tire shop to top up a tire originally installed by Costco (they use Nitrogen). Shop initially refused to top up with shop air (they didn't have nitrogen) because it would "contaminate" the nitrogen in the tires. After informing them of the above percentage, I was still mystified by their reluctance to add 3-4psi of shop air, adding a whopping 2-3% of "contaminants".

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    We have two 'Coopers. An R56, 2009 S, and a 2013 JCW, also R56.
    Well, isn't that special.
    * you suck *

58561893.jpg