Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turtle Wax to protect table saw surface?

Turtle Wax to protect table saw surface?

My table saw lives in the garage, which can get a bit 'damp' due to parking a wet (or snow-covered) car in there.

I know there are specialty protectants, but I don't have any. What I do have is some Turtle Wax automobile wax.

Q1. Will the Turtle Wax do a decent job of both protecting the top and enabling workpieces to slide freely?

Q2. Can you tell me which of the saw-specific protectants work best (and maybe aren't too expensive )?

Thanks

Turtle Auto Wax probably has silicones in it, which may interfere with some finishes if they get on the wood (fish eyes).

I don't know what's in Turtle Wax, but wax formulations that contain silicone can create problems with finishes adhering to the wood later. I use Johnson's paste floor wax.
    Chuck Taylor

+1 for the el-cheapo Johnson's paste wax in the yellow can. Works great on cast iron tops and metal fence plates.

As far as other surfaces, I like Boeshield T-9 on raw metal surfaces that will not see any wear and then for trunions and drive screws, either white lithium or a dry film lube. Also, I take the switches out and spray some electrical contact cleaner in there every so often.

Good luck.

Erik Loza
    Minimax

Any wax that contains no silicone is fine for waxing your iron, silicone can get into the wood fiber and cause some finishes not to adhere properly. That said, I did run out into the garage and look at a can of Turtle Wax and it says that it's 100% pure carnauba wax. I would assume that means it's silicone-free but I've never used it on my table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    I don't know what's in Turtle Wax, but wax formulations that contain silicone can create problems with finishes adhering to the wood later. I use Johnson's paste floor wax.
    +2. I use Johnsons on all my tools.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    +1 for Johnson paste wax
    Fine Woodworking compared various metal machine surface protectors a year or so ago. A product called CRC 3-36 Multi-Purpose Lubricant and Corrosion Inhibitor took first place.

Turtle wax is fine. I've used it for 25 years with no issues. It works great. In the garage I would make sure you always have a good coat on the saw table.

Red
    RED

Blog Entries
    Another Johnson's Paste Wax guy here.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Johnsons Paste Wax user here. Works great.

Plus #1
    I have used it for years

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios Fradelakis View Post
    Johnsons Paste Wax user here. Works great.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Turtle Wax is a brand so due diligence is required when selecting which of their waxes you choose to use, and they have many. Their ICE exterior auto wax DOES have silicone in it as reported by users who have directly contacted the company.

I have used Johnson paste wax for years, still using the same can.

Trewax Clear Paste Wax

WX200.jpg

I like to spend money of cheap stuff that makes me feel special, so I use the British Museum's "Renaissance Wax".

Johnsons paste wax on the saw table plus the internal gears for raising and tilting the blade. After cycling through the elevation and tilt movements a couple of times the paste wax doesn't collect gummed up saw dust like grease does but lubricates these gears nicely.