Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CBN wheel sharpening recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Regular grinding wheels will cut regular HSS just fine, my tools never get a yellow or blue edge on them from grinding on everyday carborundum wheels, and even if it did HSS was developed to withstand high edge temperatures when cutting, like drill bits and metal turning bits and there were no CBN wheels needed, it was only much later when carbides were used and even later with powder metal use, that de need for CBN wheels came to be.
    While this is perfectly true, many, if not most on this forum, either have switched or are switching to modern PM tools like Doug Thompson's. The carbides created in the steel are far more numerous in Vanadium and Cobalt steels and the AO wheel does not cut them, but simply knocks them out of the steel matrix.

So if you are using the new steels, CBN is the way to go to get the most of of the steel.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    While this is perfectly true, many, if not most on this forum, either have switched or are switching to modern PM tools like Doug Thompson's. The carbides created in the steel are far more numerous in Vanadium and Cobalt steels and the AO wheel does not cut them, but simply knocks them out of the steel matrix.

So if you are using the new steels, CBN is the way to go to get the most of of the steel.
    Thom I don’t want to start an argument here, however both Vanadium and Cobalt are ingredients in steels, cobalt is one of those to make HSS, long time ago this was already added to cutting tools, with 5% or even 10% Cobalt in professional drillbits and also in metal lathe toolbits, later to increase the wear resistance, carbide was added, the problem was that it was hard to have this equally distributed, so that’s why they went to particle steel.

And yes If one thinks they need particle steel to cut wood, then the CBN becomes maybe a needed addition to sharpen that steel, but IMO nether of these things are needed to effectively cut wood on a wood lathe, anyway I will leave it at this 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

I've been using the D-Way wheels for nearly three years now. They've been proving their worth ever since. I think it's been mentioned already, but, with no need for truing the wheels, the lack of dust is really nice. Perfect balance out of the box is also nice. The fact that my grind will never change and that touch ups are literally a couple of seconds, at most, and I find I spend much less time sharpening and more time turning. That makes it worthwhile for me.
    I was going through my drawers trying to make a little more room for things and came across two full sets of wheels (AO's plus a couple of SG wheels), a OneWay balancing system and a pile of dressing tools. Put them aside and out of the way and found lots of room for stuff I actually use. Need to organize a turning tool flea market sometime to get rid of some of this stuff.

I used to think the same thing about the CBN wheels as Leo, but as Robo Hippy stated, I tried one and ordered one from DWay right away. There is absolutely no comparison to AO wheels. I only wish I switched sooner.

I'll go CBN eventually. Unfortunately, I have an extra set of 8" wheels for my grinder, so will either have to wait, or just sell them.

Decisions, decisions...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Put them in the club raffle. Or you can keep them for when you have to grind non hardened steel.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    I bought my 8" 180 grit wheel from D-Way for the following reasons:

1) never ever ever ever will reduce in size. I have my Wolverine jig, slide permanently marked for the exact spot I need to do my bowl gouges. That distance will never change, unless I change my grind.
    2) the sharpening surface is much wider than the standard stone wheels
    3) NO MORE DRESSING the stone. I hate having to dress the wheels because of the dust and the fact that the wheels wear unevenly and have to be dressed
    4) the finish off the CBN wheel is akin to a honed surface. I want a razor sharp tool and had been honing. I feel like I don't need to...now. My 180 CNB puts an edge that makes the 180 AO wheel look like it is a 80 grit.
    5) Dave and D-Way is a good guy and answered all my questions. His prices were comparable and I believe with the bushing and shipping I spent $215.

Worth every penny to me.

^^^^^^^^^^^ What Scott said😀

I think that everyone forgot to mention that CBN wheels remove much less metal on each pass than the AO ones did. I sharpen very frequently and a single pass across the grinder gives me a razor sharp edge. I use mostly Thompson tools and they aren't real cheap. Extending the life of a $100+ gouge may be just lagniappe, but it counts for another attaboy. The hassel of balancing the old AO's and dressing them and .......

I agree with Scott's list. I have a 180 grit D-Way CBN wheel but I still on occasion hone for a finish cut with a 300 grit diamond hone, depends on the wood.

I strongly advise against buying 6" wheels as they leave a very thin piece of steel behind the edge due to the tighter radius. These dull and even break easily---yes I did.