Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Considering purchase of a new RO sander

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    It doesn't mean there are no more scratches, just that it's not possible to detect without more sensitive equipment than you have built in.
    And then ya' slap on some varnish , or shellac, or whatever, and it fills in them there tiny scratches anyhoo..........

You will hear a different opinion from everyone, but here's mine: 180 g is the max grit I go to on wood - RO each step 100-120-150-180, then 180 on a cork block for one last pass by hand, with the grain.

EXCEPT when I have a multi-step finishing schedule, as per when I am doing A+C finish on QSWO. Then I stop at 150g. shellac sealcoat, dye, shellac sealcoat, gel stain to color the pores, shellac sealcoat, varnish x 3 - 5 coats. AIn't no stinking scratches gonna survive all of that.

EXCEPT on the end grain, where I want to seriously inhibt dye absorption. Then I go to 320 to burhish the wood, and keep the color in-line with the face grain.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have a Festool and it is a good sander. I wish it was lighter. One thing that I think is more important than the sander itself is the sand paper.
    They are not all equal. Believe me. I have been sanding A LOT (I mean a LOT) in the past year. I wore out my Festool pad and needed to replace it. I learned there are bad sand papers (ironically the ones by Festool are junk!), there are better ones (3M), and then there are even better ones (Abranet). They are pricier but worth it.

Check out dynabrade sander they are air driven. I bought 3 for the same price as festool and it sands way batter.

This has become quite the scratch battle! While we are all arguing about scratch depth, scratch visibility and scratch existence, are Mirka Gold sanding pads considered amongst your favorites? I had some 120 pads and I feel like they wore down quickly - this could easily be my imagination though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    This has become quite the scratch battle! While we are all arguing about scratch depth, scratch visibility and scratch existence, are Mirka Gold sanding pads considered amongst your favorites? I had some 120 pads and I feel like they wore down quickly - this could easily be my imagination though.

That's my favorite, for the last number of years. Seem to work fine for me. I run 60 - 220.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

The only times I've ever had swirl marks with my 105/3 was when something got stuck on the paper and I didn't notice it until too late. I can sand for very long periods of time with the Festool 150/3 without my hands getting numb like they did with previous, lower-end products and the dust extraction is outstanding...clean abrasive lasts longer and give better results.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinn McCarthy View Post
    Check out dynabrade sander they are air driven. I bought 3 for the same price as festool and it sands way batter.
    Very good sander and use daily.

I'll have to check into the Ceros....

Jim, have you tried sanding vertical surfaces for long? that's a different story! that's why I wish 150/3 was lighter. It's a good sander, don't get me wrong but not for vertical sanding.

Blog Entries
    The ceros compared to festool just in size tells me its a no brainer to get the ceros. If it sands anywhere near a dynobrade I'm sold

Well, I really don't want to spend the money on the Ceros although I wouldn't completely rule it out. I will say though, the Ceros is very unique compared to the Bosch and the Festool because it's super low profile. It just LOOKS comfortable to use.

Wow, the word "ceros" appears 31 times in this thread. Hey, what model number are you all running anyhow?

After using the ceros for one day i gave away my festool sander. so much more comfortable to use.

Blog Entries
    $1000.00 for a sander, get serious.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    $1000.00 for a sander, get serious.
    where did you see it for $1000?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    where did you see it for $1000?
    http://www.abglovesandabrasives.com/...089&cadevice=c