Thread: Highly revised shop

Highly revised shop

I have gotten rid of my large air compressor (still have a small one), my radial arm saw and dust collector are being picked up Saturday, and my shaper is gone. This summer I plan on putting a wall down the middle of the garage/shop so that next winter I can heat the shop half and continue working during the winter. I have a kerosene salamander heater to bring it up to heat fast and a Coleman Handy Gas Plant to maintain heat. I am clearing out space Saturday for my wife to park her van in the garage for the first time since we have lived there. This seems to me to be a real win/win situation, and the only reason I am mentally able to do this is due to what I have learned about hand tools. I am keeping my table saw for now, and also a jointer because it is worth more to me than I could get for it. I was ready to joint totally by hand but I guess I still have the apprentice do that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Just be sure you're providing adequate air exchange not to kill yourself!

Sounds like a sweet little shop.

By the way, I love your Sandra Bullock quotes.

Sounds like you have been busy for sure. Are you paring down your hand tool collection to just what is needed as well? Those gas plants are awesome, would love to find one.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

I just got rid of a buncha stuff and am really glad i did
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Less can really be more! Post some photos of your new space when you get it going!

Hi Moses,

Chris Schwarz did much the same thing, and writes about it in his book "the Anarchists Tool Chest," a very interesting read. He kept a few of his power tools, but created a huge amount of room. He also put down wooden flooring and covered the block walls. The result was a really nice looking shop with an openness to it that really looked nice to work in.

Your shop sounds like it will be pretty neat, especially for folks like me that don't have a regular work spot set aside.

As stated above, he did keep a few of his power tools, and discusses which ones and why. For example he kept his thickness planer because he says that he can thickness lumber with planes only, but that there is no harder or more time consuming work in the shop than such. His philosophy, as best as I understand it, is to work smarter, with power tools where they make sense and with those that save a great deal of drudgery, but to have a relatively small number of high quality mostly hand tools, and to build high quality long lasting wooden items that will last for generations.

Cool read, I highly recommend it, especially for folks like myself that still have a lot to learn about fine woodworking.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 01-28-2015 at 10:41 PM.

I urge you to insulate the "shop" as best as you possibly can and find a different heat source. It can't be good for you to breath the exhaust from the kerosene heater. I used a similar, LP unit back before I converted the garage into a shop. I'm really glad that I insulated. I can now easily heat the space with a couple of 2500 watt electric, oil filled, radiator style heaters. Much better air quality and the hum of those salamanders is deafening.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi Moses,

Chris Schwarz did much the same thing, and writes about it in his book "the Anarchists Tool Chest," a very interesting read. He kept a few of his power tools, but created a huge amount of room. He also put down wooden flooring and covered the block walls. The result was a really nice looking shop with an openness to it that really looked nice to work in.

Your shop sounds like it will be pretty neat, especially for folks like me that don't have a regular work spot set aside.

As stated above, he did keep a few of his power tools, and discusses which ones and why. For example he kept his thickness planer because he says that he can thickness lumber with planes only, but that there is no harder or more time consuming work in the shop than such. His philosophy, as best as I understand it, is to work smarter, with power tools where they make sense and with those that save a great deal of drudgery, but to have a relatively small number of high quality mostly hand tools, and to build high quality long lasting wooden items that will last for generations.

Cool read, I highly recommend it, especially for folks like myself that still have a lot to learn about fine woodworking.

Stew
    Its a good concept and it works. The guys I see who combine the two turn can turn out some very high quality work and decent volume.

With a combination of a bandsaw, planer (thicknesser), a track saw for sheet goods, and a good deal of well tuned up hand tools you can crank out some very high quality work.

The only thing you will yearn for is lumber.

Give yourself some time to do a self apprenticeship in 95% handtools and you will be able to go back to using 'some' machine tools with a high expertise. I feel I have a much better handle on woodworking after moving to handtools and working out the kinks with both the tools and my ability to use them.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    I urge you to insulate the "shop" as best as you possibly can and find a different heat source. It can't be good for you to breath the exhaust from the kerosene heater. I used a similar, LP unit back before I converted the garage into a shop. I'm really glad that I insulated. I can now easily heat the space with a couple of 2500 watt electric, oil filled, radiator style heaters. Much better air quality and the hum of those salamanders is deafening.
    When I get some money I am going to install a ventless propane heater I think, with it's own tank. I mess around with Coleman stuff and realize the danger / health risks but do it anyway, figuring the return is worth the risk. I would never sleep with a heater that uses an open flame. Obviously none of us make it out alive, it is just a question of how much we live while we are alive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)