Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw shopping

Did you see one before you bought it? If so, where?

Rick I know Grizzly once had a referral program. If you called them up they will refer to someone in your are that has one; not sure if they still have that program. i am sure a call to the the manufacturers might lead you to referrals.

Vijay

That's interesting. Wonder why Laguna has LT16HD listed on the Industrial side of the product line. Listing products as part of an "industrial line" and going out of their way to point out that the Dealer Products are only available through a Dealer Network usually implies that the company wants to exercise a level of direct control over who can buy one of the Industrial Product Line, factory direct only products. Frankly, does not make much sense to make the distinction and then just let anybody call up and buy one.
    Last edited by James Nugnes; 01-31-2015 at 1:37 AM.

They still do, but closest ones they had were in Florida.

Rick, I went through a similar process this past fall. I wound up going with the Laguna 18 3000. It costs about $500 more than the Grizzly, but offers more resaw height capacity and a 4 HP motor, and is a heavier machine. There is a reason it is $1,000 - $1,200 less than the MM16 or Laguna 18HD machine. It weighs 525 lbs - 45 lbs heavier than the 19" Grizzly 3HP model. I wanted the saw primarily for resawing and noted that some of the best resaw blades require high tension, including Laguna's Resaw King. Some folks noted that the Grizzly frame is not as rigid as the Laguna's and MM frames and flexes when trying to properly tension these "high" tension blades. I spoke to one guitar maker who was satisfied with his Grizzly but wished he'd spent the money on a Hammer, MM, Felder or Laguna. Rockler is currently offering the Laguna's at a 10% discount and I believe their shipping is only $99 - this is cheaper than Laguna can ship. If you have a Rockler near you, chances are they have an SUV on the floor you can check out; they may also have Jet and PM saws - most likely 14" models. The Laguna 18 3000 is very similar to the SUV - just a bigger saw with more HP. The blade guide adjustments on the Laguna are a little awkward in my opinion - especially the lower guides. For me, this saw at $2,100 was a step up from the Grizzly without taking the bigger step into the $3,200-$3,600 range for the Euro saws. If you want to read a review of the 18 3000, check out Gary Howorka's post on his purchase:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...18-3000-Review

6. I love my mm16 but i upgraded to the laguna euro guides and a driftmaster fence. might have worked for me to buy the laguna LT16HD in retrospect

Just wondering if you are really referring to the "Laguna Guides" also known as the Laguna Ceramic Guides for Euro-guide replacement. I am thinking it is the Ceramic guides you are referring to here. I really like the Laguna Ceramic guides as do many others that either got those Guide Kits as original equipment on their bandsaws or upgraded to it.

Yes, I am referring to the Laguna Guides. I like the characteristics of the guides, the fact that they are long wearing, and run cool, but adjusting the guides, for me, especially the lower guides is a bit awkward. I know some band saw gurus suggest you remove the table every time you make a blade change, and with the table off, adjusting the lower guide is easy, but I find adjusting the lower guides with the table on to be a bit awkward. Fortunately since I'm using the saw primarily for resawing, I'm not changing the blades that often, and in all fairness, I'm guessing that adjusting the lower guides on most saws is somewhat cramped without removing the table.

I can get my hands into my Laguna lower guides without removing the table. There are times when I am close to tilting the table to adjust the lower guides. Leaving the table level I have to get one finger from each hand onto the knobs to tighten or loosen them and there are times when I feel like I am short one hand making the adjustment as you have to make sure the guide stays in the right position while you tighten the knob. But I really like the guides themselves both upper and lower.

Happy MM16 owner since 2004...and I have the older version with only 12" sawing height. If you ask your salesperson, they can generally provide you with references reasonably near you if you want to see a machine up close and personal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

11. If you are comparing to the Italian saws then these two models must be checked out:

http://grizzly.com/products/17-Ultimate-Bandsaw/G0636X

http://grizzly.com/products/19-Ultimate-Bandsaw/G0701

I have the G0701 in my shop and I smile every time I use it. Super heavy duty and will eat anything I throw at it. Of course, I put on a nice bi-metal blade on it.

I've had a Grizz 21" 5hp BS for 8+ years and have been very pleased with its performance. I keep a 1" Lenox MC resaw blade on most of the time and do lots of resawing. I have only needed more than the 14 1/2" resaw height a couple of times and get consistently good results with large stock. I had the chance to see both the MM and Laguna at a show and they are really nice machines, but as a hobbiest I feel the Griz line is a good value. I looked for a used Italian saw for quite a while and they never popped up so I went with the Griz and am quite happy with it. Good luck shopping.

Count me in on the Laguna 14 SUV side. I've had mine about 4 months and love it. I have the RK 1" blade and do resawing primarily. I just made a simple fence the other day for resawing and this saw is a true breeze to use. Plus their customer service has been outstanding!

Here's the fence I just made this week -
    IMG_9881_zpsh3i7tq1i.jpg

And what I cut -
    P1000071_zpsilc8zl2u.jpg
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    If you are comparing to the Italian saws then these two models must be checked out:

http://grizzly.com/products/17-Ultimate-Bandsaw/G0636X

http://grizzly.com/products/19-Ultimate-Bandsaw/G0701

I have the G0701 in my shop and I smile every time I use it. Super heavy duty and will eat anything I throw at it. Of course, I put on a nice bi-metal blade on it.
    How does the GO701 compare to the MM20? I'm very interested in this saw but currently you don't have a video covering it on your website, and finding reviews online for this model has proven difficult. I know it's less expensive than the Minimax but in my mind that isn't the only reason to consider the G0701. All I hear is that Italian bandsaws are the best but is that really true? Sorry to hijack this thread a little bit, but I've really been wanting more info on this bandsaw and it apprears that this thread has Mr. Balolia's attention.

In regard to the original question, I''m a little confused by the inclusion of the MM16 in the choices, and maybe even the LT 18. The Minimax is twice as much as the Grizzly and the LT 14, and more than a thousand more than the LT1800. If the budget isn't a consideration then I would recommend from the four choices listed to get the Minimax without question. From my own experience I think you can never have a big enough bandsaw, and you should always get the most bandsaw you can possibly can, but I guess my own personal confusion is does that actually mean it has to be Itialian?

15. I looked at all the saws mentioned and ended up with the Agazani 20. I have owned it for 6 years. No repairs, I have been very happy and have never regretted the purchase. I resaw a lot of 12 inch Jatoba, when I cut oak, or eucalyptus it feels like pine.