Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw shopping

Question Bandsaw shopping

I am looking at upgrading to a larger bandsaw. I have been looking at the Grizzly G0514X2, the Minimax MM16, the Laguna LT14 x 14 SUV, and the Laguna LT18 3000 Series. I have been reading the former posts on the topic, but have not gotten comfortable enough yet to pull the trigger on one. I want to be able to resaw lumber up to at least 12" wide. I have not seen any of these machine in person and would really like to. The grizzly has some nice features and it sounds like they have good customer service, it sounds like several of you guys that have them have had table issues with the alignment pin. I live in the Huntsville, AL area and don't really have good access to dealers. The Nashville area Woodcraft does not have any of the Laguna's mentioned, Grizzly is about 11 hours away, and sounds like Minimax is even further. If any of you guys that have the above mentioned machines would like to show them off and live any close by I would be greatly appreciative. .

Frankly, I'm extremely biased, but I'd refer you to the Powermatic line: they have 14", 15", and 18" band saws. I've got the 14": the PWBS14-CS. It CAME with the Carter guides and tension release, a work light, and a nice little blower arrangement to get the dust away from the cut.

The only thing I don't like is the way they mounted the motor - it was tough to mount, but I solved the problem with a bottle jack and a shop-built cradle to hold the motor while I bolted it in and aligned it.

I've had it for a while now, and it has never bobbled once, aside from my not putting a drop of loctite on the set screws on the motor pulley, so it drifted a bit and the belt came off and I wondered why it wouldn't cut...

A solid machine, worth every cent I paid for it, and every drop of sweat I gave off while assembling it (by myself) and getting the tables aligned properly. I've used other manufacturers tools, and some of them are quite good. Some I've owned, some I've used at rent-by-the-hour shops, and some have been in friends shops. All in all I'll buy Powermatic.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-29-2015 at 6:05 AM.
    >>> Je Suis Charlie <<<

Those are all great saws.

About 5 years ago, I had problems with the column of my Rikon flexing a little with tension @ 30-35K. Had to adjust the bottom wheel. Did not like that.

When I researched a new saw, the primary concern was the strength of the column so I could resaw @ high tension w/o a problem with any give whatsoever. I researched all saws under $5K. MM-16 won out. has heavy duty everything, and triple beam construction of spine/column.

Hard to go wrong with any of those. But the above was my process-and am totally satisfied (except, as I have said before, had to build a small base to bring the height up a little, and there were, in the past some issues with the switch on that model. I think they have been corrected.)
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

My bandsaw purchases don't count really because I do not do enough veneer resawing to make it even part of my buying decisions for bandsaws. But if I intended doing enough for it to matter, I would probably have a hard time turning away from the MM16 of the saws you have mentioned. Then I guess maybe the Laguna LT18 3000 would be worth considering. Not sure that both the LT14 SUV and the LT18 3000 would actually be in the same running for the same buyer using the same set of criteria.

I almost wonder if the Laguna LT14 SUV or any of the previous Laguna 14's had found themselves in something of a market hole where it is too much saw for a typical 14 buyer but too little saw for just about anybody really deciding based on intending to do a bunch of serious veneer resawing. Maybe that is in part what prompted Laguna to the 14/twelve, trying to get closer to the middle of the heart if the 14 market. Certainly designing the 14 twelve such that it works fine using standard home utility 115 service speaks volumes to Laguna's thinking.

I have had a grizzly for 5 years and haven't had a problem yet. It is the 19" model with 12" rewsaw capability. The model is 514xx. I use it for resawing wood and cutting turning blanks. I use a laguna blade for resawing and not much to clean up from there.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Harding View Post
    I am looking at upgrading to a larger bandsaw. I have been looking at the Grizzly G0514X2, the Minimax MM16, the Laguna LT14 x 14 SUV, and the Laguna LT18 3000 Series. I have been reading the former posts on the topic, but have not gotten comfortable enough yet to pull the trigger on one. I want to be able to resaw lumber up to at least 12" wide. I have not seen any of these machine in person and would really like to. The grizzly has some nice features and it sounds like they have good customer service, it sounds like several of you guys that have them have had table issues with the alignment pin. I live in the Huntsville, AL area and don't really have good access to dealers. The Nashville area Woodcraft does not have any of the Laguna's mentioned, Grizzly is about 11 hours away, and sounds like Minimax is even further. If any of you guys that have the above mentioned machines would like to show them off and live any close by I would be greatly appreciative. .
    For resawing I wouldn't put those other saws in the same class at the MM16. The next nearest competitor would be the Laguna (ACM) LT16 HD.

I have had a MM16 for 10 years, and have had no reason to upgrade. Was planning to buy a Delta 14", but after reading the creek for a while, decided it would be cheaper to just buy a good saw without having to move up in steps.

Where do you even buy an MM16. Do you have to call the manufacturer and order from them? They're about $3000 right?

I'll weigh in, though I think the basics are covered above. The MM16 is the best saw listed, but it's also the most expensive, this seems to be one of the areas in life where you get what you pay for...

That said, I'm sure all of the models listed are great tools and would serve you well for a long time. One of the really hard things about specialty tools is that very few people have used multiple models for any length of time. When you ask a board like this, the answers will generally fall into, "I own x, and it's the best". Nothing wrong with that, but it's also worth considering how few people have owned several of the tools...

I'd buy the absolute best you can afford, and know you'll not have to replace it. The best will also hold value to a greater degree if you have to sell down the road.

Rick, you're off to a great start with that selection, perhaps toss Felder into the mix as well.

Perhaps there are some owners in your area that would invite you over for a test run......Regards, Rod.

+1 for LT16HD

I have seen a couple of references to the Laguna LT16HD here. But Laguna only shows it as part of the Industrial Div. product line at about $3,500.00 list price. Not sure there is a way for a private individual to get to that saw and even if there is, I doubt he would pay any less than full list price for it. I suspect that an MM16 is actually easier to get to for a guy trying to equip his workshop. Could be wrong. But it would seem so.

+1 for Felder/Hammer

There's nothing hard about getting a LT16HD, just call Laguna up and speak with a salesperson. The pricing and options I got were within $200 of the MM16, so they were pretty much the same price (I went with MM).

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn McCarthy View Post
    I have had a grizzly for 5 years and haven't had a problem yet. It is the 19" model with 12" rewsaw capability. The model is 514xx. I use it for resawing wood and cutting turning blanks. I use a laguna blade for resawing and not much to clean up from there.

Hope that helps.

Quinn
    So what exactly is a 514xx? I am considering the 514x2 which has the CI trunnions, rak and pinion table tilt, and the foot brake.