Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide on a new car

Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by chris toomey
    i have a chrysler town and country....it hauls 4x8 plywood no problem. taking the seats out is a pain...but it works.
    We've got the sto-n-go model. That would make it a cinch to haul sheet goods... but LOML wood (pun) do serious damage to the one defiling her vehicle with raw wood products! So I'll stick with hauling in the truck during good weather.
    Jay Kilpatrick in Saginaw, Tx

One more quick point.

Gas prices are just going up and up. Pretty soon, I will be able to get almost new SUVs for a pretty penny as their resale value is going down and down.

The ideal combo would be a diesel 1 ton truck like an F350 or Dodge 3500 along with a recruiter.... i.e. a hybrid such as the one by honda or toyota.

My dream is to see what happens when you take a VW turbo diesel 4 banger and couple it to the drive line of a honda or toyota hybrid. If you cannot clear at least 70 MPG, something is wrong!

Diesels have gotten a bad rap over the years. They are known for being noisy, stinky and just obnoxious. But the new developments have really improved how these engines work. Also bear in mind that they are low RPM engines whose work is done by torque and not high RPM. The first diesel introduced in this country at a world's fair was burning peanut oil. It was only later that they found you can run them on #2 fuel oil or diesel oil.

I know guys who go to McDonalds and gather up their old stale french fry cooking oil. The local McDondalds are happy to help as these are privately owned establishments who have to pay money to throw this stuff out. But did you know that cummins and powerstrokes work just fine on warmed up french fry oil? One guy starts his ford by starting on diesel and then warming up a beer keg in the back which has copper hosing wrapped around it. This connects to the engine cooling system. As soon as the french fry oil is warm, he switches a valve over and the engine is now burning fritter oil. You can make bio-diesel at home by trans-estification and this saves you the hassel of start up and switch over.

Bean oil or Willy Juice or Bio Diesel are fuels that use varying percentages of trans-estified soy bean oil mixed with standard #2 diesel. So as our oil problem intensifies, some of us are already looking at alternative engergy supplies now. Being that we can get 10, 15 or more years out of one vehicle, this is something to consider.

Me personally, I would rather sink my money into nice figured lumber and killer woodworking machines and shops layouts like Lou Sansone' than keep contributing to the UAW corporate retirement fund year after year after year. Take the money and buy a fixer upper house and renovate it. After you collect a few homes and rent them out, you find that renters are subsidizing your your own dirt based 401 plan with minimal contributions by yourself

Just food for thought here. Isn't is strange how woodworking can really change your perspective on life? A friend of mine saw a new BMW in the parking lot and said, "Wow, wouldn't that be nice to have?" The instant thought that went through my mind was... "How in the heck can I haul a pile of lumber from back east using this thing". I think I am in need of the sawdust 12 step program
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    One more quick point.

Gas prices are just going up and up. Pretty soon, I will be able to get almost new SUVs for a pretty penny as their resale value is going down and down.

The ideal combo would be a diesel 1 ton truck like an F350 or Dodge 3500 along with a recruiter.... i.e. a hybrid such as the one by honda or toyota.

My dream is to see what happens when you take a VW turbo diesel 4 banger and couple it to the drive line of a honda or toyota hybrid. If you cannot clear at least 70 MPG, something is wrong!

:
    What Dev said!

All the talk about monster vehicles in the face of $2.50/gallon fuel gives me the willies. I don't think we'll ever see $1.00/gallon gas again. Apart from the political aspects of the issue, the sheer cost of operating one of these vehicles has become a very substantial part of the family budget. True, the hybrid technology hasn't been applied to large capacity vehicles - yet, but it will be soon. Toyota and several others (Lexus, I think) have SUV hybrids on the market and I think there are several hybrid pickups on the near horizon.

I have to admit that I'm a hybrid convert. I bought a Toyota Prius in November and I love it. I drove Jeep Grand Cherokees for ten years before I bought the Prius, so the transition to a smaller car took some time. But I've adapted completely and I couldn't be more pleased. Monday SWMBO and I returned from a week's driving vacation in the Prius. It was very comfortable and had plenty of room for our luggage - but it was only the two of us. I drove 1,850 miles and spent a total of $91.70 on gas for the whole trip. If' you're at all concerned about the cost factor, consider a hybrid. If you need a utility vehicle, consider one for business use only and look at a hybrid for the family car. I kept my old Jeep for hauling stuff and it has worked out just fine. My monthly gas bill has dropped by 2/3 since I bought the Prius - even using the Jeep occasionally for utility work.
    My $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by John Zimmerman
    Even though this is a woodworking forum, my short experience here tells me that the collective wisdom knows everything. We need a new vehicle, well actually two but that's another story. We've been trying to decide between a minivan and an SUV. Now here's where the woodworking twist comes in. Which ones will hold a 4x8 sheet of plywood totally enclosed?

Now it can't be too big and studly because it will be a family car for trips and things. Also, SWMBO says she can't climb into a big truck in a ladylike manner!

Any suggestions?

Please and thank you,
    John Zimmerman
    With all the specials and leases, buying a new vehicle should be a last resort. The lots are packed with used cars these days, in particular right now. I would go for for 3-5 year old used minivan .. Honda Odyssey is a good choice. Pay for it in cash if you can, if not you will still have a lot less car payment than w/new. Lastly even it's not perfect and holds several sheets of Ply, you can still get a small 5x8 trailer cheap and tow that around for bigger jobs. That's my 0.02$ worth anyway.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

It seems to me that the added cost for a hybrid, on the retail side, does not offset the cost of fuel. If you take a model that is standard gas and consider the cost diffrence to "upgrade" to the hybrid....your talking several thousand dollars. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time(considering most keep their vehcile only 2-3 years) I can see the possiability for savings...but again considering the averages ....wheres the savings?? I assume if you do a lot of driving the savings might be there, but on average it is not.

In saying that, I am all for anything that helps the consumer.....If the cost were to drift down and the technology proves it's self, I would be more game

Just food for thought here. Isn't is strange how woodworking can really change your perspective on life? A friend of mine saw a new BMW in the parking lot and said, "Wow, wouldn't that be nice to have?" The instant thought that went through my mind was... "How in the heck can I haul a pile of lumber from back east using this thing". I think I am in need of the sawdust 12 step program
    They are nice to have! Funny thing, while you certainly cannot haul a 4x8 in a BMW, my 530i and 545i can handle 10 foot long 2x4s (about 8) and about 3-4 2x6s!!

Folks, I have a 1990 Toyota Pick-up (4-banger, 22R engine) with 114k on it. It looks horrible (paint is peeling like crazy) but runs like a champ. With some help to raise the 4x8s off the bed and the tailgate down, I can haul 11-14 sheets of 3/4" plywood. I've had this truck since 1995 and not a single thing has ever gone wrong with it. I just do the normal maintenance on it and this thing just goes and goes.... I think about replacing it all the time (wife hates the peeling paint...actually want me to get it repainted! ) but I just haven't found a really good reason yet....
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 07-26-2005 at 6:15 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Heh. Or the reaction I had to seeing a Hummer in the Home Depot parking lot: "Geez, it's huge, but it doesn't look like 4x8 sheets will go in there...useless."

I'm just not a fan of minivans...nothing wrong with them, but I don't enjoy them for some reason. But they are a good value as a family vehicle that can also haul a reasonable amount of material, especially newer versions that have true-fold away seats, etc. And remember, you always have the option buy a "beater" older used pickup for hauling and keep it behind your shop while buying the family vehicle you really like, no matter if it can haul full sheets of something. (Or start doing all your woodworking with solid stock... )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Donnie is right, it costs too much to buy the hybrid counterpart for most vehicles. You would be saving natural resources, but at a greater expense. The car companies are using the hybrids as a way to make money, not to save the environment. I would love to have a hybrid, but not at a 10-15% premium. It would take many years to recover the costs, even if gas was $5/gallon.

Your best bet is to buy what you want, and if it does not haul 4'x8's, then purchase a trailer. This way, you can also haul equipment.

my $.02
    chris

We recovered the couple thousand in extra cost for our Prius in the first two years of the almost four we have had it with the miles Dr SMWBO has been driving to work...half the fuel cost of her two previous vehicles per year. But you are correct, things have ratcheted up at this point and it's a little hard to justify the premiums dealers are currently getting even over sticker.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    And remember, you always have the option buy a "beater" older used pickup for hauling.
    Jim makes a really good point. You can get a decent running older truck pretty cheap. And many of them just run and run and run. You could buy a mid-size car and an old truck cheaper than a minivan. That said, we'll probably always have a minivan as it is a good compromise vehicle for us since we need to be able to tow a 2-3000lb camper on long trips.

Toyota Sienna

The new version will hold a full sheet of ply. Almost got one. We got a Tundra instead because of the deals in December and the fact that I fit in it better - more leg room.

Let me put in a plug for the Honda S2000. Good power as well as torque. Limited slip differential, 6 speed gearbox and great handling. I haven't checked this out personally, but I am sure that you could get several 4"x8" boxes as well as similar sized sheets of wood in the trunk.

...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Borzelleri; 07-26-2005 at 9:09 PM.

I agree, go for a used truck. The used car market is pretty good for buyers right now and trucks especially. Dealers would love to get them off their lots.
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by John Zimmerman
    We've been trying to decide between a minivan and an SUV.
    Gas prices in Houston are over $2.50 now. I can imagine what they are everywhere else.

Get a minivan. Not just any minivan ... look at the Honda Odyssey.

If you need any info on the Odyssey, check out my website. Feel free to PM me.