Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: got new jointer plainer with rusted table / anti-kickback

got new jointer plainer with rusted table / anti-kickback

the table rust is cosmetic and the anitkick fingers is pitted but also doesn't effect the working of the machine. to what extend do you guys think i should complain and or ask for some sort of compensation . not much fun packing a rusted machine .

Is this "new" as in new to you, or brand new, never been used. Also, who did you buy it from- off CL (private party), or store? You'd have better luck with the latter.

I think it's worth probing for some discount on the price. If from a private party, and you've already made the deal, you're probably out of luck, though, esp. if you noticed the rust when you agreed on the deal. Usually these are as-is, all sales final.

If the rust was hidden in packaging, and from a store or shipped, you might claim that it was not as advertised, and you expect a pristine replacement- with return of defective (rusty) product at their expense- may not work- or reluctantly (as a compromise) be willing to accept some other compensation (discount) and keep the jointer. After all, it may not be all cosmetic- how do you know, for example, that there isn't rust in the cutter head or bearings.

it is brand new from manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by David T gray View Post
    it is brand new from manufacturer
    Then I would expect a new condition machine, or financial compensation for the difference.

If it was me, I would want a new machine because everytime I looked at the cosmetic defect for the next 20 years I would regret not returning it.......Regards, Rod.

I would be on the phone with them right now and have them send me out a new non-rusted jointer/planer today. Plus a shipping label to return the rusted machine at their expense. You don't know how far into the jointer/planer the rust has gone and what other damage it may have caused. You paid enough for a new machine, you want a new machine.

Red
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post
    I would be on the phone with them right now and have them send me out a new non-rusted jointer/planer today. Plus a shipping label to return the rusted machine at their expense. You don't know how far into the jointer/planer the rust has gone and what other damage it may have caused. You paid enough for a new machine, you want a new machine.

Red
    I agree unless they gave me a big enough discount to make it like I bought a used machine.

I'd take pics, inform them of the situation and start negotiating. No reason to pay the new price for a machine that drives rusted. It is not the inevitable consequence of shipping, its the result of neglect, and not yours. New machine, some sort of discount, additional equipment or credit towards such, figure out what your ideal arrangement would be and work toward that. If replacement is really what you want then push for that and stand firm, if you are flexible and can live with the defects for the right price, time to negotiate!
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

If I paid for a brand new machine, I'd expect a brand new machine. If you're willing to live with the defects, call them and demand a discount, otherwise tell them to come get it and give your money back. It is their problem, make them deal with it.

There is a difference between surface rust on the tables and rust that gets on all the internal metal, gears, chains, cutterhead, etc. The latter is bad because the bearings could also be compromised enough to prematurely fail. Rust on the table only is no big deal. Dave

this is <$5000 machine i bought three machines for over 21k at the same time . interesting day called up to talk to the project manager which offered me about $18 worth in value, going on and on that its just surface rust and the machine is in working order which it is i don't deny that fact, so i told him that if that's all that it is he wouldn't have a problem with naming his company and posting good pics of the rust to this forum and allow people to make their own decision if they want to deal with said company after seeing my forum post that would be up to them , after this the mood of the conversation completely changed he started almost yelling it was clipping the speaker on the phone so very loud and saying that i was threatening him and his company and was very angry that i had said this and absolutely refused to replace machine under any circumstance and said i can ship it back at my expense for a refund. i should mention the bandsaw was broke in shipping which they are replacing. i was open to some form of negotiation on the matter of the j/p but now .... idk . dealing with someone who lacks professionalism to stay calm in such a situation makes u wonder about said company as a whole. makes me want to go rent a trailer and drive 14 hours and return all 3 machines in person.

Call the president of the company - seriously. The project manager has no business being in that position if that's how he treats people who pay his salary - you, the customer. Tell the president the whole story. If it doesn't get resolved to your satisfaction - ship or take them all back and tell the world.

John

Can you post pictures w/o divulging the manufacturer? Obscure anything that would tip us off.

Now I have no idea what company he's talking about, but if I ever had such an experience with a company, once it was resolved to my satisfaction, I'd still go out and make it all public. There is no excuse whatsoever for any company to behave in such a manner. The world deserves to know what the company they may be dealing with actually does. You paid for a brand new product, based on the description on their website. If you do not get it, the company is responsible to either make it right or return your money and pick up their merchandise on their own dime. If anyone ever threatened me with any of that, I'd inform them that I had been recording all of the conversations and I'd be only too happy to put it up on YouTube, as well as introduce it at trial if they insisted on suing you. Let's see how far they're willing to go to ruin their own reputation.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 01-31-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Blog Entries
    Surface rust? Oh, that's OK; its just a little cancer. You're not feeling sick yet so it is all OK.

If the machine was packed / handled in a way that allowed rust to begin, there are too many areas that you cannot see what this exposure did to them. The shouting definitely calls for an esculation regardless of whether you accept the condition or not. I do not know how you came across and I too have been accused of being a bit 'direct' when I am being handed the soft soap. Regardless, this man's job is dealing with these sorts of things, not overreactingto them. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Now I have no idea what company he's talking about, but if I ever had such an experience with a company, once it was resolved to my satisfaction, I'd still go out and make it all public. There is no excuse whatsoever for any company to behave in such a manner. The world deserves to know what the company they may be dealing with actually does. You paid for a brand new product, based on the description on their website. If you do not get it, the company is responsible to either make it right or return your money and pick up their merchandise on their own dime. If anyone ever threatened me with any of that, I'd inform them that I had been recording all of the conversations and I'd be only too happy to put it up on YouTube, as well as introduce it at trial if they insisted on suing you. Let's see how far they're willing to go to ruin their own reputation.
    Brian - I agree 100% with you on this.

I had a very similar problem with an expensive combination machine that I purchased primarily because of what I read about it on Saw Mill Creek... The situation eventually was resolved to my satisfaction - but every time I try to 'convey' my negative experience about the transaction and the company that was involved - my posts get deleted....

So basically it seems your really only hear one side of the story on this forum. I wish we could open a new thread on 'negative feedback' so we could all discuss the situation like mature adults.