Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: got new jointer plainer with rusted table / anti-kickback

HHUUUUMMMM I wonder what color the machine is....I think if you buy something brand new it should look it & not with rust on it.....After that conversation with the company rep he would already have them back...or they would be on their way.
    Last edited by Jay Jolliffe; 01-31-2015 at 11:21 AM.

I agree that this is totally unacceptable in every way. For the past 30 years I have been in the packaging business dealing with everyone from owners of companies to the hourly workers that ship out the products. I can tell you with 100% certainty that you would be doing a favor to the president, GM, VP, whoever it may be by bringing this issue up. Nowadays, the way business is, there is no room for error and margins are getting slimmer and slimmer. I would be shocked if after your call you weren't satisfied completely; I say this based on the assumption you would not have bought from them in the first place if you didn't think they were a reputable company and had good products.

Obviously, there are many ways to say the same thing. I would be professional and deal with the facts. Good luck and keep us posted.

If the machine is new, have you contacted the company to allow them the opportunity to resolve the issue?

Contrary to what some members want to believe, you can post about new machine problems here at SMC. It's only fair that, however, that you first try to allow the company to provide a resolution.

When you post about your current problem, you should provide factual supporting data pertinent to the current problem.

We just don't allow piling on or threads to become emotional rants. Nobody, including potential new customers, gains any useful knowledge from such threads.

Contact the company and give them an opportunity to give you a reasonable resolution.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    HHUUUUMMMM I wonder what color the machine is....I think if you buy something brand new it should look it & not with rust on it.....After that conversation with the company rep he would already have them back...or they would be on their way.
    I don't disagree, so please don't take this the wrong way. BUT, we're not trading in cars or patio sets or notebook computers. These tools typically have large iron surfaces that are rust magnets. I can't imagine what a PITA it must be to keep a warehouse full of this stuff rust-free.

I think we have to make allowances for some rust on unfinished surfaces while a tool sits in a manufacturer's inventory. I mean, if we're going to say that rust on a jointer bed means the jointer can no longer be sold as new, then we can all expect to pay a ton more for stuff.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 01-31-2015 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    If the machine is new, have you contacted the company to allow them the opportunity to resolve the issue?

Contrary to what some members want to believe, you can post about new machine problems here at SMC. It's only fair that, however, that you first try to allow the company to provide a resolution.

When you post about your current problem, you should provide factual supporting data pertinent to the current problem.

We just don't allow piling on or threads to become emotional rants. Nobody, including potential new customers, gains any useful knowledge from such threads.

Contact the company and give them an opportunity to give you a reasonable resolution.
    Ken - I have a question for YOU

When I read a post on SMC where someone is asking for opinions regarding a possible purchase of a machine they are interested in, how can I convey my negative experience about said machine/company/sales person in the appropriate rational manner and not have my comments or my post deleted? The problem was in fact resolved - but I see the salesman still making what I would call 'less than truthfull' statements and I believe he needs to be called out on it.

ps - they are not paid advertisers on this forum as far as I know

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I think we have to make allowances for some rust on unfinished surfaces while a tool sits in a manufacturer's inventory. I mean, if we're going to say that rust on a jointer bed means the jointer can no longer be sold as new, then we can all expect to pay a ton more for stuff.
    Phil - do you let your tools sit around and get rusty?

Is it too much to expect a manufacturer to use something like cosmoline or boeshield? (I don't think so personally)

Quote Originally Posted by John Huds0n View Post

When I read a post on SMC where someone is asking for opinions regarding a possible purchase of a machine they are interested in, how can I convey my negative experience about said machine/company/sales person in the appropriate rational manner and not have my comments or my post deleted? The problem was in fact resolved - but I see the salesman still making what I would call 'less than truthfull' statements and I believe he needs to be called out on it.

I'm not Ken, but I'd strongly encourage you to simply use the post reporting feature and express your sentiments to the mods. If the post you're reporting seems to make claims too good to be true, they can edit the post, or ask the author to fix it themselves.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 01-31-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Phil - do you let your tools sit around and get rusty?

Is it too much to expect a manufacturer to use something like cosmoline or boeshield? (I don't think so personally)
    My point was, I don't have a warehouse full of tools to maintain. But yeah, I have allowed a cast iron contractor saw to get some rust. I cleaned it off and it was okay. It was delivered with some superficial rust that left the surfaces stained, I was okay with that because I had used tools in a school shop and they all had the same staining, I knew it was inevitable.

I understand your situation was different because parts were locked from the rust.

John,

Rather than kidnapping this thread, let's take this subject to the Off Topic thread and discuss it. I'll start a thread. Be aware, this is at my discretion and administration may decide they don't like it and move the thread out of public viewing.
    Ken

Ken - fair enough, thanks

Phil - hadn't thought of the "post reporting" feature, good idea

John....I haven't forgotten you. My router went gunny just as I went to click "Submit".

I will start the thread and lock it until I have it completed so that I don't lose information incase the router goes bonkers again.
    Ken

yes im mostly leaving the name of said company out to keep such issues from arising in this thread, don't want fan boys coming in and getting emotional or turning this into x company is better then x company deal. but i am happy to read every ones unbiased opinions on the matter and i will for sure name this company once a resolution to the matter has been meet. i would post pics but its pretty easy to know who's machine it would be from looking at the cutter head. so ill report back Monday night if i have any news after calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post

Quote Originally Posted by David T gray View Post
    makes me want to go rent a trailer and drive 14 hours and return all 3 machines in person.
    I'll go with you
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vigder View Post
    i'll go with you
    road trip!!! 😀
    Last edited by Bill Graham; 02-02-2015 at 5:06 AM.

There is a difference between a poorly packaged crate that allows for rust everywhere and a damaged one that allows for the same. I'm assuming there was no delivery error here, just a lack of that crappy cosmoline that we all curse when we remove. Dave