Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Drum Sander Part Problem

Delta Drum Sander Part Problem

Hi to you all. Boy, am I frustrated. Just got off the customer service line with Delta. I have a Delta 31-250 drum sander. The clip (part no. 40613327001) that holds the end of the sandpaper strip broke last week. I've been looking all over the web for replacement parts for this and keep coming up with "part is obsolete" or "part no longer available" messages. Finally called Delta customer service and yep, sure enough that part is no longer available and there is no replacement part. Can't believe that a custom part that is necessary for the operation of this machine is no longer available anywhere. The customer service guy was less than friendly and pretty much just blew me off. Sure doesn't make me want to buy any more Delta equipment. Anybody else have this machine and had to replace this part? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Carl

This unfortunately is the new Delta. Can't supply replacement parts even for a brand-new machine, much less the older models.
    Chuck Taylor

That's why people stay away from Delta equipment today. Don't know how much longer they will be around running a business like that.

Red
    RED

I found parts for my Delta X5 bandsaw at mikestools.com a few years ago after a topple in the driveway while moving. If Mike doesn't have the part, start looking at similar machines to see if their replacement part might be usable.

Most of my tools are Delta, unfortunately. Never again. They not only didn't have the part, but they pretended they did. Then they pretended they would have it soon. Then they pretended they would have it eventually. Their customer service emails were just spin and fiction.
    Last edited by Andy Fox; 01-29-2015 at 11:06 AM.

That Delta sander looks like a kissing cousin to the Grizzly G0458. I'd go to the Grizzly site, and download the manual for the GO458 and see if the part looks the same, and then see if you can order one for Grizzly.

Here is the Grizzly:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/18-...m-Sander/G0458

Here is a link to the drawings and parts list:

https://d27ewrs9ow50op.cloudfront.ne...s/g0458_pl.pdf

Good luck, let us know!!!

Carl,
    I have the same machine. The clamp is a complicated part but it only needs to do a simple job.
    Wood and rubber part.. You might need to drill through the drum to get access holes to drill and
    tap holes inside, no big deal. If you drill away much weight, repeat at 180* to maintain balance.

Grizzly has a package to change the rolls to a hook and loop setup. You just have to change over to hook and loop sandpaper but package comes with that.
    Part # G1066/G1079R This may help and is easier than using the clips.
    Curt

This a very timely thread. My Delta 31-255X clip just broke on the left side as I face the machine. Iwas about to post for information.Thanks for the replies.

I damaged one of the spring clips on mine, too, and haven't been able to find any replacement part yet. Mine is still usable but I would replace it if I could locate a new one. If not, I plan to fabricate one myself when the original breaks. The only real hard part will be detempering the spring so that it can be rolled around the pin that locates it in the drum and then retempering it. Maybe it can just be detempered in the area where it needs to be rolled? Another option would be to change the clamp mechanism on that end, but the factory one works so well I'd rather have it that way. Stupid simple to load new paper and holds very securely.

John

10. Anyone take a look at the supermax drum sanders?

11. I'll upload photos of the clips in it this evening when I get home.

Wow, thanks for all the quick and informative replies guys. I'm looking at having a local machine shop make me a few of these. Maybe I should have them make some extras. Sounds like there's a market for them. Still can't believe that this is a machine that is for sale new on the interwebs and you can't get parts for it. Sure wouldn't recommend anybody buying one. Thanks again for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    Anyone take a look at the supermax drum sanders?
    I just went and looked at their 19x38 drum sander. The paper holding clips are different than on the Delta, but it looks like they could be retrofit to the Delta. Thanks for the tip.

John

Just spoke with Delta Parts and the gentleman said to go to RENOVOPARTS.com. The part # is 406133270001 and is $24.44 each on their website.

Now why did the Delta customer service not know that? Thanks for the info Bob.
    Last edited by Carl Hill; 01-30-2015 at 11:09 PM.