Thread: Scroll saw blade selection

Scroll saw blade selection

Good morning. I need help in selecting scroll blades. I need to rough cut 1 inch boards [hardwood] at a 45°. Who makes good blades and what style and TPI should I use? I am new to scrolling and want to start on the right foot.
    Thank you for your help!!
    Jeffrey
    If no one will ever see it, all the more reason to make it right

Jeffrey, check our Mikes Workshop. There are selecting blade, Q&A, etc. He sells flying dutchman blades that many consider the best.
    - Mike

+1 for Mike's. That is where I get mine.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Most scroll saws won't cut 1.5" wood at a 45 deg angle. Many won't even cut 1.5" at 90 deg. It's just slightly above their max thickness. Check your saw to see if it can do it before buying a bunch of blades for it.

Charley

+1 for Mikes Workshop.
    As said above, 1" at 45 deg is pushing the scroll saw limits. Not the best saw for the job.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I agree with Charles that you are asking too much from a scroll saw. At 45 degrees on hardwood you will break blades even with a larger skip tooth blade. You are better off with a bandsaw.

Call Mike and tell him what you intend to do and he will recommend the right blade. I use his Polar #5 blades to cut 1 3/4" hardwoods.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Thanks for the help!! It is Mike I be calling. I need to use a scroll saw, if I used a band saw I would have to cut the blade and put it though a hole in the wood and re-weld it.
    Jeffrey
    If no one will ever see it, all the more reason to make it right