Thread: Looking for opinions on Aqua Coat Clear Grain Filler

Looking for opinions on Aqua Coat Clear Grain Filler

I'm working on a sapele desk top slab and want to fill the grain with a crystal clear filler that will yield a glass smooth finish when topped with conversion varnish. I've read some positive reviews about Aqua Clear but would like to hear from folks here to find out if it's as good as advertised.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    I'm working on a sapele desk top slab and want to fill the grain with a crystal clear filler that will yield a glass smooth finish when topped with conversion varnish. I've read some positive reviews about Aqua Clear but would like to hear from folks here to find out if it's as good as advertised.

Wow...looks like not many here have tried this product. I'm going to pick some up at Woodcraft this afternoon and give it a test drive.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I called the mfg and talked to Brian, who apparently either owns or manages the company. He said Aqua Coat is applied after staining the wood. It's the consistency of mayonnaise, is applied with a spreader or similar and then quickly scraped off. Dries quick, up to 4 or 5 coats can be applied in a day. I expressed a concern about sanding through to the stained wood after the final Aqua coat dries; he seemed confused by the question and said they recommend 320 grit. I questioned how thick the film was after 5 applications, each scraped off. Seems to me that the scraping would render a super thin build up even after 5 coats. He was confused and didn't have an answer.

I'd be applying the filler over a chemically stained wood...just the slightest penetration of sandpaper through the Aqua Coat would ruin the finish. I'm going to pass on this unless I can get a better explanation on how it works. I'll continue using a sanding sealer to build up the pores...expensive and time consuming but effective.
    Scott Vroom

Jim Tobias, who post on SMC occasionally, gave it a positive recommendation. You might PM him for his thoughts. I haven't tried it personally, but I'm curious as to how well it works. If you decide to try it please let us know how it works.

Tony Joyce
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I found the TDS on their website and it says to apply a sanding/sealer coat over the stain and before the Aqua Coat. This would address my concern about sanding through the stain. I'm going to try it on a sample piece of sapele, as follows:

- potassium dichromate (chemical stain/oxidizer)
    - 2 coats GF Enduro Clear Poly as a sealer
    - sand
    - Aqua Coat...enough coats to fill pores
    - sand
    - GF conversion varnish 2 coats
    Scott Vroom

Scott,

This utube video may give you a little insight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT-h8bNrWY0

I've been looking for a better technique to fill and color the pores in QS red oak without using pigments. I plan on taking a long look at the AquaCoat product.

Thanks for the link, Jack. The luthier is applying the filler to what appears to be unstained wood so no worries about sanding. For stained applications, it may be best to apply a seal or sanding coat after the stain and before the Aqua Coat....at least that's what I'm going to try doing. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Scott Vroom

8. Posting so that I can subscribe to the topic...thanks for bringing this up Scott

I have used Aqua Coat a couple of times on Walnut and Mahogany. Both pieces were stained. I applied a couple of topcoats first, then applied the grain filler so I didn't have to worry about sanding through the color. It actually states that in the instructions on the can. Finish came out glass smooth with 2 coats. Word to the wise. Scrape of as much as possible when applying to minimize the sanding. You can also dilute it with water to make it more workable. Hope this helps.

My foray into grain fillers taught me to think of them as really thick stains, they don't do anything more magical than that. so if you apply to wood without a sealer on it, all parts of the wood will be colored, and you'll have to sand back the areas you don't want colored.

I picked up a quart today at the local Woodworks. The sales guy is a luthier and swears by it.

I finished the chemical stain this evening. Tomorrow I'll seal w/2 coats GF sanding sealer, 2 coats grain filler, then on Sunday top coat with 2 coats GF conversion varnish. Let you know how that goes.
    Scott Vroom

I look forward to hearing your report. I have been thinking about trying some on mahogany.