Thread: Persimmon wood supplier?

Persimmon wood supplier?

Does anyone here have any idea where to buy some persimmon that would be suitable for some plane making purposes? Mostly I would like at least a small amount to use for some boxing on a couple side escapement planes I have planned. But I would also like to get enough to potentially add a hard wearing sole on a krenov style plane that I have sitting in an unfinished state due to the fact I became more interested in traditional style planes. But I still plan on completing and using this Krenov plane.

I don't see it to often by me. I'm not sure I would use it for planes. It wears well but it has a tendency to shrink a lot.

Try ebay ... there are some for sale there

Bonesteel Mill and Molding here in Indiana, but I don't know if you can get him to ship to Maine.

Bagdad Mill in Bagdad, KY shows it on their website. Shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Does anyone here have any idea where to buy some persimmon that would be suitable for some plane making purposes? Mostly I would like at least a small amount to use for some boxing on a couple side escapement planes I have planned. But I would also like to get enough to potentially add a hard wearing sole on a krenov style plane that I have sitting in an unfinished state due to the fact I became more interested in traditional style planes. But I still plan on completing and using this Krenov plane.
    Tony, lignum and vera wood also work well and may be more readily available.

Cliff

Forgive a stupid question:
    Has anyone tried Ipe for boxing?

I've got two vintage snipes bill planes which are missing some boxwood boxing. My plan is to restore them, so I'm watching this thread with great interest...
    clamp the work
    to relax the mind

I have a bunch of it in my attic. Rough sawn and dry. The trees were killed by root compaction when we built out home.
    How much do you need, what thickness (this is about 4/4), and my widths are about 4-5".
    I'm in Mississippi so shipping quantities might be an issue. If you need small pieces, the flat rate boxes might be a possibility.
    PM me if you like.
    bill@magraphics.us
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I have some I would be delighted to be rid of bjtindal@mindspring.com

And there you go, the Power of The Creek!
    Maurice