Thread: Replacement Remote For Dust Gorilla

Replacement Remote For Dust Gorilla

So, the remote for my Oneida Dust Gorilla died. I tried changing the battery but it didn't help. It's only around 5 or 6 years old and has not seen terribly heavy use - I'm limited pretty much to weekends. Oneida wants $70 or something like that for a new one, but I thought I would check out other aftermarket options before spending the cash on another unit of questionable quality.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Mike

Honestly, I found that the typical wireless remotes like that tend to burnt out over time...and after two of them going with my 2hp Onieda system, I changed to using a contactor controlled by a normal 120v wall switch centrally located in my shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. That would work for me, since I just hung the remote in the middle of the shop anyway. I think my unit is 220v and have no idea how such a thing would be hooked up.. Maybe time to call an electrician.

Mike

It won't save you any money over the Oneida price but I have been using a PSI Long Ranger remote for 10+ years without any problems.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Do you have a good feel for whether the problem is with the transmitter or receiver? Oneida sells replacement remotes for $35 each.

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

I just had that problem with my gorilla, about 6 years old also. Turned out to be the remote receiver in the switch, not the remote itself. Cost $80, including another remote.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    Thanks Jim. That would work for me, since I just hung the remote in the middle of the shop anyway. I think my unit is 220v and have no idea how such a thing would be hooked up.. Maybe time to call an electrician.

Mike
    Very few of us have shops so large that we couldn't generally be happy with just a centrally located wall switch. It's actually better for the DC not to be toggled off and on constantly, anyway...if you have a series of operations that span a few machines, leave the machine on and just open and close the gates as you move between workstations. And those few steps to the switch can also help with pacing things a bit which helps to reduce mistakes...IMHO, of course.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the comments guys. I believe the woman at Oneida said if a new battery in the remote didn't fix it, it was most likely the receiver in the switch. This actually broke several months ago, so I'm going by (my bad) memory.

Yeah, I have just been walking over to the switch in the meantime. I'm not worried about spending more than the $80 if I don't have to replace it again

I'll consider my options, thanks again -

Mike

I had the same issue, but was still under warranty, so they shipped a new remote, still not working so they sent a receiver and that got it working. And they sent a remote with the receiver???? They told me to keep the remotes, so now I have 3 remotes for my 25'x 25' shop lol
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Having 3 of something and being able to find one when needed are two different things in my experience.