Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Submerge entire jointer cutterhead in Evapo-Rust with bearings attached

Submerge entire jointer cutterhead in Evapo-Rust with bearings attached

Tried doing some googling, but could only find situations related to automotive bearings which are slightly different. I don't have a pulley puller and a bearing puller so I'm trying not to go drop another $100-$150 for these tools to pull the bearings off to remount them again.

I'm presuming they are sealed bearings, so would it be okay to submerge in the evapo-rust for a few hours then rinse with water and scrub clean?

I don't know how water tight a sealed bearing is, but there are other complications to consider. Evaporust can leave a sticky residue behind. You do not want to chance getting that into the bearing assembly. After soaking and rinsing evaporust, the surfaces can quickly develop rust in the presence of moisture. I feel you would risk rust in or around the bearing assembly if you do not disassemble it to dry.

That cutterhead really doesn't look bad. Have you tried wd40 and a scotch brite pad yet?

My hunch would be that the evaporust would thin or remove the grease in the bearings and the bearings would not last very long after you started using the machine again. But I have never used evaporust before. I would try the WD40 / scotch bright idea listed above. I think I would then use some Johnsons paste wax to protect the cutterhead from rust.
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 01-30-2015 at 3:00 AM.

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    What Peter said, that cutter head is nowhere near rusty enough to reqr an Evaporust soak. Just use some scotchbrite pads and WD40 to remove the rust. You don't want to soak the bearings as they are sealed but liquid will get in there and make a mess.

From what I can see I would just buff up the head a bit and then reassemble it. I put a bit of Johnson's Paste Wax on the head surface to coat the metal and resist rust. Same treatment for the jointer tables.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Make some phone calls. At least in Canada, there are many places that rent or lend the tools you need. The right tool for the right job.

You can get a bearing puller at HF for a cheap price. Since it is something you'll only use once in a blue moon, You don't nee to spend alot.

Michael

If you do go the route of Evaporust, just soak a rag and wrap the cutterhead only, hold with rubberbands. No need to dunk the whole assembly. If the head looks like that, then the bearings should be free of rust anyway, since that's not much honestly.

I would be reluctant to soak the entire assembly in a chemical that could potentially result in additionsl problems. A light coating of rust will not affect the operation of the machine; it is just cosmetic. If you want to clean up the cutterhead unit, use the methods suggested above, just please watch those fingers if you leave the knives in place.
    If you still want to clean it up, bearing/gear pullers are really inexpensive, and it would be on hand for future uses.

Cutting to the chase....No, it will ruin your bearings. Evaporust is water based and sealed bearings are not waterproof. Evaporust is excellent at dissolving grease.

Dan

NeverDull is great for light rust removal, as are very fine abrasives. As has been said (and we all loath rust) your problem seems to be cosmetic
    also your friendly mechanic will prob be happy to remove/press on all that for you
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    Cutting to the chase....No, it will ruin your bearings. Evaporust is water based and sealed bearings are not waterproof. Evaporust is excellent at dissolving grease.

Dan
    This is correct. I do this sort of thing all the time. Your bearings are now toast, and need to be replaced. If you use them as is, you risk having one bind up on either the cutterhead (inner race) or your bearing cap. One or the other, or both, will get damaged from this, and then you are spending big bucks replacing everything, including your cutterhead.

If you don't have the proper tool, go to your local machine shop or engine shop. If they charge you at all, it might be $20. A bearing splitter makes very short work of what you're doing, and is the tool you need.

If you re-use those bearings, remember these famous last words.........WE TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!
    Jeff

Thanks everyone for the advice/insight. I'm just going to hit it with some steel wool and get the majority of it off since it is mostly cosmetic and call it a day. Thanks again for all the help

Personally if there's already rust on the head I'm replacing those bearings anyway. A couple bearings for a head that size probably cost you less than $50, vs spending all that time cleaning re-installing, getting knives in and perfectly lined up, only to find one of them is on it's way out. A bearing puller probably cost you short money through harbor freight. If you plan on working with machinery for any length of time it will get it's use.

my 2 cents anyway….good luck,
    JeffD

Not sure where you're located, but some of the automotive parts stores (Autozone, etc.) lend out tools with a refundable deposit, so you may can get hold of a pulley puller without having to buy one.