Thread: Seem to be on a roll with Craigslist, Band Saw

Seem to be on a roll with Craigslist, Band Saw

Mentioned before that I have watched almost every day for the last 4 months and now, all of a sudden getting a lot of opp's with tools I'm interested in.

Found this and would like opinions on the saw and a fair price. Seller asking $850. Feel like if I got it for $700 should be a good price, assuming no problems with the saw.

Powermatic 14" band saw PWBS-14 - $850

Lists for $1300. Tried to load pictures but having problems. Looks to be in perfect shape, almost brand new.

Usually, used tools go for about half new, that means $650 for that band saw. If it's in really good condition, I might go $700, maybe even $750 for excellent condition. Personally wouldn't go higher, but it's up to you.

I paid $500 for my Jet 18" bandsaw with a 5hp motor a few years ago.

Is is a classic USA made Powermatic or a new Taiwan made Powermatic?

It is normally $1200, but you can get it for 10% on sales at woodcraft. Plus now you have to worry about shipping/moving it.
    ~ start at $500, and go to $550 max.

Personally, for that kind of money, I'd hold out for one of Powermatic's older Model 141 band saws. They are fantastic machines and very heavy duty. Solid workhorse and I have seen them in the $500-$650 range quite often. A Little tune up and spit shine and they will far out perform the PWBS machine.

They gave me my Powermatic in the pic, but this one http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auc...iew?auc=938285, a Powermatic Bandsaw Model No. 043 sold for $375.
    So prices are all over the board.

Free was nice though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

I don't know how close the OP is to Ohio. But just for kicks I went to ebay and there is a 141 there now used listed for $650 with the mobility base. Says all the bearings have just been replaced. It is a brute of a machine and myself I would also prefer it to any of the newer Powermatic bandsaws. I think they can be wired for either 110 or 220 but somebody else would know for sure. Indicates 1993 as year of manufacture. If I was looking for one, it might be my dream used machine. Not looking at the moment and nowhere near Ohio either.

Photos and info would indicate it has been well used but not abused and I just don't think you can kill them.....