Thread: Any downsides to Abranet discs?

Any downsides to Abranet discs?

These seem pretty popular here since I've looked at some older threads. I'm just curious if these discs have any down sides. I would immediately point out that they are twice the cost of the Mirka gold discs, but, if they last twice as long, it's a wash.

My experience is they last more than twice as long as any other paper out there. Mesh means more airflow, better cooling, and better dust extraction. That adds all adds up to less buildup on the paper, less trapped particles (i.e. you won't be surprised by large scratches), and long life. I use them more or less exclusively on ROS these days.

I'm having trouble thinking of any downside. They're slightly less durable, I guess. If you sand over a nail it might snag instead of tearing? I don't know...I'm really stretching here.

They make a sampler pack, and it includes a backup pad. Grab it and try it. You may love it, or you may hate it, but at least you'll know.

3. The "hooks" on your hook & Loop pad will eventually wear off w/ these pads. Because of this it is best to use a sacrificial pad, there are many options for this depending on the sander you are using. This is one example - interference pad.

They have better dust collection than non-mesh discs.

Yes, you have to use a sacrificial pad. If you buy them in packs of 50, there are places that throw the sac-pad in for free. I have three and none have worn out yet.

I really really like them - have replaced 80% of my sandpaper stock. A downside is that they will tear pretty quickly if snagged - gave up quite a few on my recent live edge top project but they tear in a straight line if that has any value. ALSO - I recently needed to replace the FESTOOL sanding pad on my ETS/3 sander. It would hold the Festool discs but no longer had any traction with the Abranet. I had 3 brand new "sacrificial pads" from Abranet but even the new ones would not hold on the old Festool pad.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Sam, if you need paper to take some abuse, e.g., when you're shaping or running into burl edges, then look into Indasa Rhynogrit. That paper is tough as nails.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll give them a whirl when I place my next sandpaper order. You guys are awesome!

Would you guys buy them despite already having standard paper or just wait until you're out and need more?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Li View Post
    Would you guys buy them despite already having standard paper or just wait until you're out and need more?
    Well if you like the paper you are working with just buy a sample pack of the Abranet and compare. No better way to know.
    Otherwise, if you aren't happy with your current product I would not hesitate to replace with the Abranet mesh.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I use them in my sanding block. Fantastic.
    sold my ros.
    Paul

Paul,

I assume your sanding block has no dust collection. Do they clog up when used this way, or can you just give them a slap to clear? Do you use a pad under them?

Thanks,
    Rick P
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    These seem pretty popular here since I've looked at some older threads. I'm just curious if these discs have any down sides. I would immediately point out that they are twice the cost of the Mirka gold discs, but, if they last twice as long, it's a wash.
    I have had good luck with both, but I surface most of my woods with hand tools and usually only use sandpaper for sanding between coats of finish or a final cleanup before I begin finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Paul,

I assume your sanding block has no dust collection. Do they clog up when used this way, or can you just give them a slap to clear? Do you use a pad under them?

Thanks,
    Rick P
    Rick, I use the Lee Valley sanding block with the metal platen and a wooden handle. Clogging has never been a problem a slap can't fix.
    I should be clear that I hardly ever sand, so my experience is limited. I would much rather use a smoothing plane. A little tear out adds to the handmade appeal!
    Paul

I will give that a try, thanks.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.