Thread: It just don't look right!

It just don't look right!

I was recently tasked with installing a Bigsby B-5 Vibrato on a Mexican tele. An easy enough job to be certain but I just don't think it looks right. IMHO some guitars just don't look good with a vibrato of any kind. I even saw one once on an acoustic Dreadnaught style. It just don't look right! What say you?IMG_3288.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think the guitar in the second photo has a broken string but the vibrato blends right in. You can't even really tell it has one.....

You put it mighty close to the bottom edge of the guitar.

Blog Entries
    I am not a fan of vibratos in general though I do have two guitars with them. I agree Tele's don't look good with Bigsby's on them. I think they would also throw off the balance as well.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I don't know how the other pic got in there. Oh well, stranger things have happened. I agree with you Shawn. The only electric I have owned with a vibrato was a Gibson SG I had in the late '60's. Great guitar but I had no use for the vibrato. F.Y.I this unit was a kit Bigsby is selling. It included the vibrato, bridge and bridge pick-up plate with the holes for the bridge studs. All I had to do was remove the orig bridge and plate and replace with the new stuff, get the Bigsby aligned and installed and restring and set-up.
    George, the location is where the kit instruction shows. If you look closely at the photo you will see that there is a land on the treble side that protrudes from the body and is only about 1/16" away from interfering with the pick-up plate. I do agree that it does look awfully close to the end of the guitar. Maybe that is one of the reasons that it just don't look right!

It seems that there is not enough room on a tele for a vibrato!

At least not a Bigsby style. I was looking through some of the stuff I have collected over the years and found another style, also screw-on, no routing that has a smaller footprint that would probably have looked better. Interestingly enough I also found a vibrato for a four string bass. I cannot recall ever seeing a vibrato on a bass guitar.

Yeah but as with most things. It is not what we think. It is what people pay us to do. I'm sure it looks awesome to your customer.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Creech View Post
    I don't know how the other pic got in there.
    I think it's a Whodunit. Who stole my boat engine?