Thread: Guss Stahl chisels?

Guss Stahl chisels?

Does anyone know anything about these chisels? There is precious little info on the intertubes. I got this one cheap; it's a lovely looking chisel. Sorry, the picture is crap, but you can see the graceful shape. It is thin too, only 1/8 at the cutting end. I think I will put an octagonal handle on it.
    Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing what people know about these chisels.
    Thanks!
    IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

I can't speak to the maker, but I wholeheartedly endorse the octagonal handle. They are perfect for tanged chisels.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Two cherries, isn't it? Guss stahl simply means cast steel. It indeed looks like a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Two cherries, isn't it? Guss stahl simply means cast steel. It indeed looks like a good one.
    Doh! That's what those two circles are!! I'm a moron. Thanks Kees!
    I didn't realize there were vintage two cherries chisels--I always associated them with new tools. This one sure looks different than the new ones.

Zach--I enjoyed your recent blog post on octagonal handles. This is my first tanged chisel--I've been using socket chisels all these years, but my shop gets extremely dry in winter, and I'm pretty tired of handles falling out of their sockets.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Quote Originally Posted by Claus Keller View Post
    Hi Claus,
    Thanks for the link, and welcome to the Creek!
    My German is almost nonexistent, but I enjoyed looking at the pictures. I had no idea two cherries had such a long history.