Thread: 2 1/2 Faceplate

2 1/2 Faceplate

Hello, Does anyone know a good source for a 2 1/2 inch faceplate Thanks in advance, Kevin

Easy Wood Tool makes one. Packardwoodworks.com carrries it, as does Craft Supply and Woodcraft. I am sure other do too. Don Pencil used to make small aluminium faceplates, but I think he is pretty much out of business.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I just checked Lee Valley Tools and they are still carrying Don Pencil aluminum faceplates but some are no longer available
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...330,49238&ap=1

The prices are in Canadian dollars so 20% less for US customers
    Last edited by Scott Ticknor; 01-30-2015 at 9:17 PM.

source of good value faceplates

Hello Kevin,

Try this site for faceplates .. many options/resonable prices.
    http://www.wbnoble.com/wood_turning/...ceplates.htm#*

Don in Medford

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    Hello, Does anyone know a good source for a 2 1/2 inch faceplate Thanks in advance, Kevin

Just my opinion but don't waste your money on an aluminum faceplate. Oneway makes a substantial cast iron face plate in several sizes including 3". All threads will be available.
    faust

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    Just my opinion but don't waste your money on an aluminum faceplate. Oneway makes a substantial cast iron face plate in several sizes including 3". All threads will be available.
    faust
    You are welcome to your opinion, do you have any facts to back your opinion?

I own over a dozen aluminum faceplates for three different lathes, not one has in any way or shape failed or had a problem.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    ... Don Pencil used to make small aluminium faceplates, but I think he is pretty much out of business.
    It appears so, really a let down, I have a lot of his and would buy more if I could.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    Easywood is the only source I know of for 2-1/2 inch.

Gotta agree with Ralph, aluminum faceplates work just fine. EWT faceplates are very well made too.

I would be happy to share what I don't like about aluminum face plates. On my lathe, after turning a heavy blank, an aluminum face plate jams so hard against the shoulder of the threaded shaft, it becomes a problem to remove. The only solution I found was to use a nylon disk on the shaft prior to installing the faceplate. Cast iron face plates remove easily for me. I'm sure aluminum is plenty strong but the couple bucks I can save buying aluminum versus cast iron is not enough to make me buy a product that is more troublesome to me.
    faust

What probably causes that is the smooth finish of the anodized aluminum and the smooth finish on the shoulder form a "friction weld". With the rougher finish of the cast face plate you don't have that issue.

The Op specifically asked for 2 1/2" but did not specify thread.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).