Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mission style End Tables out of Figured Walnut

Mission style End Tables out of Figured Walnut

I figured I would put a couple past projects up on this forum since I seem to be participating more now rather than lurking. These tables were built mostly in the spring of last year and finished in October due to a very busy Summer and Fall.

I wanted a pair of end tables to match my coffee table that I made in 2013. For these tables, I decided that I liked the plans from Woodsmith #127 enough to not come up with my own or do much modification. I increased the top rail height in order to accommodate a larger drawer. My dad actually has made this same set but used the more traditional oak. I had some very nicely figured air dried walnut that I had picked up off of craigslist that I wanted to use, and only had to purchase 8/4 stock for the legs from a dealer.

The drawer pulls are from Home Depot, of all places.

For a finish, I used Arm-R-Seal. 4 coats of Gloss followed by a coat of Satin.

Sorry for the not very good location of photos as it was raining here in Seattle. Hence the cardboard on the ground in the outside photos.

And a pretty poor quality of it in my dirty living room next to the coffee table.

Attached Images Attached Images

Way cool, Jeffery. NIcely done.

May I ask: How did you attach the bottom shelf?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

There's shelf cleats that are screwed into the lower rails. Then the shelf is screwed into the front and rear rail once in the center to still allow for movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Martel View Post
    There's shelf cleats that are screwed into the lower rails. Then the shelf is screwed into the front and rear rail once in the center to still allow for movement.
    Good enough. That definitely works.

Do you have rabbets in the rails to receive the shelf, or is the shelf just flush/butted to the rails?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

It's just flush and butted to the rails. I just took a 3/4"x3/4" scrap and put them on all 4 lower rails such that the shelf was flush with the top of the front and rear rails. I notched out the corners of the shelf to receive the legs rather than notching the legs to accept the shelf like the plan calls for. Bit of an assembly order error that required the fix.

Blog Entries
    Very pretty!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Very nice. Love the walnut

Arm-R-Seal really shows of that beautiful walnut. Your craftsmanship looks first rate,too. Congrats.

John

Blog Entries
    Great looking furniture......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Nice work, and some great looking walnut. Nice score off Craigslist. Did the figured drawer heads come with the air-dried batch?

Lower shelves in pieces like this require some detailing for seasonal movement that makes for careful work with machines and hand tools. Here is my take on the joint, shown using 3/4 inch shelf, 1-3/4 square legs, with the short end rail at 3/4 x 2-1/4 and the side rails at 3/4 x 3-1/8. The sides are wide to allow for the domino joinery I show for one option. 8mm x 50mm dominos shown.

The long side rails would not need to be tall like shown if doing the M&T joinery I show in the other option.

The shelf panel is captured only 1/16 in the receiving groove in the long side rail, which has 1/8" additional depth in the dado for expansion. This, when making the piece in winter dry conditions.

The leg housings capture the shelf panel both ways.

A single pocket screw or dowel or domino fixes the center (end grain end) of panel to each short rail, and the little bit of capture into the leg hopefully fixes the outboard corner

I plan to make some end tables with lower shelves, and will use plywood for the shelves, so as to avoid needing to detail this way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice set. You should be more than proud of the final outcome.

Thanks everyone.

Gene: The drawer fronts came from Rockler, actually. They had some figured cutoffs for sale. As far as wood movement goes, I'm not too worried about it. The shelf was sized and installed during the most humid time in our area. Seattle is opposite of the rest of the country in that our Summers are quite dry and the winters are the wettest/most humid. But it's good info for next time.

EDITING TO ADD: I will be keeping an eye on it though, and may take some passes off of the sides with a hand plane just to give a bit more room in case of more movement than anticipated. It's only screwed on so it's easy enough to do.
    Last edited by Jeffrey Martel; 02-02-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Super ! Superb!

Great job and that wood is spectacular.

First rate work, nice! I am a sucker for Walnut...

15. Looks great!