Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Is There Any Way You'd Make A Wood Countertop For A Bathroom?

I installed a mahogany countertop in my master bath years ago. It's holding up very well - slight patina, but no gouges, etc. It's simply stained and coated with oil-based polyurethane.
    countertop.jpg

David,
    I will search for some photos, we have had some camera/computer issues so it may take a couple of days (actually my wife and dsaughter will be doing the searching). I agree with you regarding the look and feel of epoxy coatings, I don't care much for poly finishes for that same reason. Know that one can always sand down the epoxy to the point where it has coated the surface withoout the thick buildup. As I said before, the ability to "rub out" the WaterLox finish to a desired sheen reaslly helps.

Water and wood: Dancing with the Devil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    The Gospel According to The Vroom Dude[tm]. DOn't ever change, brudda - keep pushing that rock !! I'm with you all the way...............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I'll dance with this devil!

Kitchen counters
    Bath Tubs
    Sinks and 'seating'
    Wood is a very versatile medium ain't it.

butcherblock3.jpg
    Cozy-Wooden-Bathtubs.jpg
    Rectangular-Modern-Wood-Sink.jpg
    bathroom-toilets-toilet-seat-cover-wood-oak.jpg

Yes I would. But I have wood countertops in my kitchen also and have had no issues with them so far. I would think that as long as it was finished properly it wouldn't be an issue.

Here's mine. Around 20 years old. Red Oak flooring. 4 coats Poly. Almost as good as new.

P1000109 (Large).jpg
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

So Julie, after a lengthy & spirited discussion we all want to know what you're going to do with YOUR bath countertop?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

So Julie, after a lengthy & spirited discussion we all want to know what you're going to do with YOUR bath countertop?
    She is going to sail it to the Gulf.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    She is going to sail it to the Gulf.
    You're actually on the right track. The whole reason for tackling this project is to get the house sold so I can (hopefully) buy that boat I've been dreaming about for a few decades. But the first stop will be the Bahamas. Too many oil rigs in the Gulf.

As for the wood vanity tops, we found a place where we can buy granite for about the same price as just the wood we were thinking of using. This could be a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    You're actually on the right track. The whole reason for tackling this project is to get the house sold so I can (hopefully) buy that boat I've been dreaming about for a few decades. But the first stop will be the Bahamas. Too many oil rigs in the Gulf.

As for the wood vanity tops, we found a place where we can buy granite for about the same price as just the wood we were thinking of using. This could be a no-brainer.
    No brainers are something we can understand
    Scott Vroom

I would do it in a minute!! You can get epoxy like is used on bar tops.I've used it many times,totally waterproof wherever it's applied..

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post

Julie - I am no kinda sailor. Having said that, I can sand and refresh varnished surfaces.

My point? You need a crew member dedicated to varnish maintenance on your trip, you let me know. I'll crew for you if that is my only task.

Will bring my own set of top-end varnish brushes, and my fishing rods.