Thread: Explanation needed, Grizzly table saws

Explanation needed, Grizzly table saws

Does anyone know the difference in the two 50 inch 3hp table saws from Grizzly. I've tried to research but I swear the only difference I can see is in the paint color and one is 240 and the other 220. I am in no way an electrician so maybe that is the big difference. The two model numbers are....

G1023RLX

G0691

Correct, paint color only difference for the Polar Bear version. 220v and 240v are the same thing.

Blog Entries
    It doesn't sound like the OP is asking about Polar Bear versions. He is asking about two different models, correct? Others will know more about this but, IIRC the 1023's have been around for awile but, recently went through a design change to offer a riving knife and other features. The G069X's are modeled after the Delta Unisaw of old, a proven design (not that the 1023 is not a good design also). There may be other subtle differenes like dust port location, motor belt types, etc. but, I am doing this on a pad and so am a bit handicapped in doinganything quickly like checking the web site and owner's manuals.

If your'e asking the difference between the G0691 and G1023RLX, there are some notable difference. Some are easily seen from a glance at the exploded parts list diagram. I think Glenn is correct about some differences in the dust ports too, but I'm not sure what they are.

The 0691 use a traditional yoke style trunnion system with a swing arm, and a triple belt drive...it's essentially an updated version of the old Unisaw clones, that now includes a riving knife. It also features an Asian made Leeson motor, has a generic commercial duty Biese clone fence, and is made in China.

The G1023RLX use dovetail ways and a vertical thread to raise and lower the arbor....not a swing arm. It also has a more modern serpentine belt drive system, has the Shop Fox Classic Biese clone commercial fence, is made in Taiwan, and uses a generic Asian 3hp motor. Both feature large industrial grade cabinet mounted trunnion brackets.

Last edited by scott spencer; 01-31-2015 at 9:50 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Hey Scott, thanks so much for the education. After reading your post I seem to recall some time ago someone speaking of the fact that the RLX being built in Taiwan vs China was a big benefit. I have saved your info and when I pull the trigger, assuming it's a Grizzly, will review your notes. Have a great weekend

The G1023RL has the dust shroud and the dust port exits the back. The G0690 dust port exits on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    The G1023RL has the dust shroud and the dust port exits the back. The G0690 dust port exits on the right.
    One other thing about 1023 series dust collection. The shroud has a 2 1/2" hose that goes down to the 4" DC port on the back. The port also has an opening at the bottom to pull out the dust not captured by the shroud. Overall, this arrangement doesn't work that well - I get a lot of dust buildup in the bottom of the cabinet. Once every couple of weeks I have to vacuum out the cabinet. I'm not sure how it compares to the 690 series. I suspect it's marginally better. At least the dust winds up in the cabinet as I don't get very much elsewhere. Would love to hear from a 690 owner about how DC works for them.

By the way, I love my 1023. Would definitely buy another one if it disappeared tomorrow.

Is it that much of a con to have some build up of dust in the cabinet? As in if you don't clean it out will it affect dust collection and/or cause wear on the moving parts of the saw?

I have the G1023RLX and would buy it again today if I needed another saw. Great saw and fence. Plenty of power and very accurate. I have it on a mobile base and I can move it very easily.

Red
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Li View Post
    Is it that much of a con to have some build up of dust in the cabinet? As in if you don't clean it out will it affect dust collection and/or cause wear on the moving parts of the saw?
    No, it's not a problem at all other than you have to do the "bend over and suck it all out" dance every so often. One of my reasons for picking the 1023 over the 690 was that it's DC aspects were more advanced. At this point, it may well be true but the difference seems pretty minor. The two saw models are remarkably similar otherwise.

Hi,

If you do a search here you will find a thread that addresses your question in some detail. I remember it...but do not have a link to it.

One difference is that the mechanism that moves the blade up and down is different. The 691 is similar to what the unisaw has, and the 1023 has something different, dovetail ways similar to a machine tool, if I remember correctly.

Another difference (that mattered to me) is the 690/691 uses multiple V belts where the 1023 uses a single serpentine belt. Multiple belts sometimes cause problems when replacement is needed as they must be bought in matched sets and each be exactly the same length.

I bought the 1023 but both are considered equally good from what I have read here on SMC.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!