Thread: I need a new band saw.

I need a new band saw.

I decided it was time to get a bit more serious about being sucked into the vortex and replace my Harbor Freight itty bitty band saw with something more substantial. With the adage "get as much tool as you can afford" in the back of my mind I went internet shopping.
    It came down to either the Grizzly https://www.grizzly.com/products/14-...andsaw/G0555LX or a Jet http://www.homedepot.com/p/JET-JWBS-...13A/203699521?

Both are in the price range I'm comfortable with and will do what I need them to do (basically small scale resawing). I leaning towards the Grizzly.
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-31-2015 at 10:16 AM.

I would go with the grizzly in a second. It's about $100 cheaper off the bat and comes with a decent fence and a beefier stand. Add those extras to the jet and you get a much bigger price difference for the same saw. Not to mention the grizzly would be cheaper to add a riser block to in the future if you want to,increase the resaw capacity.

While Jet has a good reputation, so does Grizzly on most of their tools and this is a good saw from what I've heard. Its also the one I'm leaning toward. Heavier base, roller bearings, bigger motor and less expensive. For the difference in price and the lift block and increase the re-saw capacity. while you may not need to re-saw lumber, this means you can stand up blanks for easier cutting. See Robo Hippy's you-tube video on preparing bowl blanks.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

4. I have the Grizzly G0555LX and a big Jet 18" saw........with the riser block the G0555LX will do most of what I need to cut bowl blanks.........it has cast iron wheels (computer balanced & spin balanced) which give more torque to the cut, premium carter style bearings with adjustment knobs, and the best blade detensioning system I have ever seen on a 14" class saw.......and I have used number of different brands, including PM, Jet, Delta, Reliant, other Grizzly's, etc. This saw also has two speed ranges and uses a ribbed drive belt and machined pulleys, not cast, which give greater power transfer from the motor to the wheels and is much smoother than a V style belt.

I did lots of research before I sold my old 14" saw, and made sure I got one that has premium features .....I am a bit of a tool junkie, and performance is premium in my book. I have been greatly pleased, and this saw is a good value for features to price point.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-31-2015 at 11:14 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Bruce,

No horse in the race because I have a G0555 and a Jet 16" that both perform as needed for me but.........

When you say you have a itty bitty Harbor Freight saw, do you mean their 9" saw or are you referring to their 14" model? If it's the 9" model I understand the comment bit if it's the 14" you have, I'd say your move is a little bit more of a sideways move than an upgrade move. Granted, I think both the Jet & Grizzly's your looking at are a bit better but with a couple adjustments to the HF 14", it's a quite serviceable saw. It's sort of like an old Ridgid BS I had. Put a 3/4" piece of plywood in-between the saw and base, link belt and cool blocks and you have a decent saw. If you have the 9" saw then just disregard this paragraph.

Don't know exactly how you plan on using your new saw but 6" resaw isn't that much if your going to use it for green wood bowl blank prep work. Riser block would help out greatly. Whatever you do I think you'll be happy with either saw.

Grizzly:
    Color scheme
    220V if you want
    1hp vs. 3/4hp

Jet:
    I do like the guide system better on the jet than the grizz. Comes with their cool block material so you can make your own when the originals wear out. BUT that's my likes, maybe not yours.
    Last edited by David Delo; 01-31-2015 at 1:11 PM. Reason: typo

My 0555LX has been a great buy as well as a great saw.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I just ordered the Grizzly.Yes. my Harbor Freight saw is the 9 inch. Not worth a whole lot.
    I'm sure i'll be pleased with this saw.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Good choice I have the ShopFox and it looks every thing identical based on the pictures. I bought mine locally on sale. I replaced a Sears and have not regretted the purchase.

I'm coming to the thread a little late but I wanted to say that I think you made a good decision. I have been on this and a few other woodworking forums for a long time and I seldom read anything bad about the Grizzly 0555 but a whole lot of good things.